xp64+s2005 error when comiling any demo

i gat the error

1>------ Build started: Project: transpose, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

1>Performing Custom Build Step

1>nvcc fatal  : Visual Studio configuration file '(null)' could not be found for installation at 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/VC/bin'

1>Linking...

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'cutil32D.lib'

1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA CUDA SDK\projects\transpose\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

1>transpose - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

whats is wrong…

aa i am new then don’t kill me :ermm:

and i have glasses >.<

You will need to build the cutil project first in the sdk\common directory before you build anything in the sdk\projects directory

Would that really help? That looks like a linking issue while the nvcc fatal error is a compile error.

I get the same error and I have no idea what to do about it. I cannot make a proper install because of the nvcc fatal error. I cant very well build the sdk\common if the compiler won’t run. I don’t even know what configuration file nvcc needs. Does anyone?

Sorry, I wrote a little hasty. I can install everything accordring to the README, but I cannot build any of the projects.

Are you using VC++ 2005 Express by any chance?

It seems that nvcc on XP x64 requires the 64 bit build tools. These are not available in the Express edition, but are in the ‘full’ VS editions (in the “%ProgramFiles(x86)%/Microsoft Visual Studio 8/VC/bin/amd64” folder if you choose to install them).

yes i do.

please try to download and install the 32 bit

this was help for me.

:wacko:

I have got the same problem. I have VS Pro on XP 64.
Are there any solutions available by now?

Thanks,
Markus

Hi,

I also, have the same problem (VS Pro on XP 64). did you find any solution?

Thanks.

Asmaa.

I’m using the “full” Visual Studio @ Windows XP x64 and I also have this problem:

------ Build started: Project: template, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------

Performing Custom Build Step

template.cu

tmpxft_00000438_00000000-3.gpu

tmpxft_00000438_00000000-7.gpu

tmpxft_00000438_00000000-3.c

tmpxft_00000438_00000000-12.i

Compiling...

template_gold.cpp

Linking...

LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'cutil32D.lib'

Build log was saved at "file://d:\CUDA_64\NVIDIA CUDA SDK\projects\template\Debug\BuildLog.htm"

template - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

This is with CUDA 1.1.

There is, in fact, no cutil32D.lib file in my CUDA dirs. Should there be one?

EDIT: Heh, stupid me. I was trying to compile for Win32. If you guys haven’t tried, set the platform to x64 ;) Worked for me.

I too got the same error.

I have using CUDA 2.0 64 bit tool kit + SDK on Vista Business 64 bit edition.

I am using VS 2005 expression.

what to you mean by set to x64?

Please explain.

Be sure to select the project or solution configuration to build for x64. I don’t have a 64b Windows installed right now, so from memory (and from how it looks in Win32), next to the green “debug” arrow on the main toolbar there’s a dropdown menu (hover-text “Solution Configurations”) from which you can select “Relase”, “Debug”, “EmuRelease” or “EmuDebug”. And then to the right you have another one (hover-text “Solution Platforms”) from which you select to target either Win32 or Win64. If that doesn’t work (or if somehow you don’t have this toolbar visible), go to project properties, Linker, Advanced and set Target Machine appropriately (X64). Your mileage may vary, I don’t have XP64.

I have the same problem as yours. I followed your idea and changed win32 to x64. Then I cannot compile. The green “debug” arrow also becomes dark. The following is copied from output window

1>------ Skipped Build: Project: bandwidthTest ------

1>

========== Build: 0 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 1 skipped ==========

I had the same problem and searched for a long time…

first change to 64 Bit
second rebuild your project

it_works.png

Rebuild.png

Finally, I found what is going wrong. The visual studio does not install 64 bit compiler by “default”. We mush select “full”.

Thanks, solved my problem.

Thanks, solved my problem.

Thanks snowfax and others, you solve my problem!