System freezes when cursor moves to external monitor

Hello,

I’m running Kubuntu 26.04 on a laptop that has a GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] .

When I boot the machine and move the cursor to my external monitor, the system freezes (the cursor doesn’t move, Ctrl+Alt+F4 doesn’t move to the TTY).

I read in AskUbuntu of other people with similar issues. so I may have hit a bug in the driver:

I tried using the latest driver (595) but on boot, I read in journalctl that my chip is not supported:

May 24 19:44:37 DWHost kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU installed in this system is
                               NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 580.xx Legacy drivers. Please
                               NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
                               NVRM:  information.  The 595.71.05 NVIDIA driver will ignore
                               NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...


Output of some commands:

dwilches@DWHost:~$ uname -r
7.0.0-15-generic
dwilches@DWHost:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 26.04 LTS
Release:        26.04
Codename:       resolute
dwilches@DWHost:~$ lspci -v | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
dwilches@DWHost:~$ ubuntu-drivers devices
== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd00001C8Dsv000017AAsd000039FEbc03sc00i00
vendor   : NVIDIA Corporation
model    : GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile]
driver   : nvidia-driver-580 - distro non-free recommended
driver   : nvidia-driver-580-server - distro non-free
driver   : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

dwilches@DWHost:~$ dkms status
nvidia/580.159.03, 7.0.0-15-generic, x86_64: installed
dwilches@DWHost:~$ xrandr --listmonitors
Monitors: 1
 0: +*eDP-1 1920/344x1080/194+0+0  eDP-1

I have my second monitor disconnected up there, otherwise my system would freeze and I won’t be able to hit Submit

Could you help me troubleshoot?

Thanks.

These two steps fixed it for me:

Disable the NVIDIA GSP firmware

This fixes hard freezes on many RTX laptops.

Create:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-gsp.conf

Add:

options nvidia NVreg_EnableGpuFirmware=0

Then rebuild initramfs:

sudo update-initramfs -u
sudo reboot

Disable hardware cursors in KWin

This specifically targets freezes triggered by moving the mouse between monitors.

Create/edit:

nano ~/.config/kwinrc

Under [Wayland] add:

[Wayland]
EnablePrimarySelection=false
NoHardwareCursors=true

Then restart Plasma:

kwin_wayland --replace &

Or simply reboot.

Hi @abdulla.faraz

Thanks for your answer. I tried both solutions together, but I didn’t have luck.

Besides adding that line here:

 sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-gsp.conf

I also added it to this file:

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf

And to this other file that already existed:

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-graphics-drivers-kms.conf

But no luck with any of those modifications.

One thing I notice is that when the computer freezes, the audio keeps playing, it’s just the keyboard, mouse and screen.

Thanks.

I ended up reinstalling Ubuntu, but this time version 24.04 and it worked out of the box.

My Nvidia driver version is now 535.309.01

And my Linux kernel is 535.309.01

Correction, Linux kernel version is: 6.17.0-29-generic