Terrible performance when GPU governor set to performance?

You’d expect that setting the GPU governor to performance would consistently result in improved performance compared to the default. And indeed it does sometimes - but I can also consistently demonstrate it having a terrible effect on performance - increasing the run time of a standard GPU benchmark by an order of magnitude.

This is not the result of thermal throttling - in fact on the bad runs things run so slowly that the heatsink is noticeably cooler to touch than normal.

I installed the SSD-Mobilenet-V2 benchmark (as described in the Nvidia deep learning inference benchmarking instructions page) and then ran the benchmark with various governor and clock settings.

The key factor seems to be starting from a just rebooted system. If I reboot the system, set the CPU and GPU governors to performance and then run the SSD-Mobilenet-V2 benchmark, it consistently shows a terrible run time of around 12 minutes. If I rerun the benchmark multiple times it makes no difference - once it has run slowly the first time, it consistently runs slowly.

However, if I do something slightly different then things perform more as expected. If I reboot the system, set just the CPU governors to performance and then run the benchmark, it gives an acceptable time of around 4m 40s. But what’s interesting is that if I now set the GPU governor to performance and rerun the benchmark then, as expected and desired, I get an improved time. Rather than the terrible time of 12 minutes, it runs in about 3m 50s.

So it seems if, after boot, I immediately set the GPU governor to performance then I get terrible times. However if I “exercise” the GPU first and only then set the GPU governor to performance, I get the improved performance I expect.

Notes:

• My system is set not to boot into graphical mode, so the GPU is used purely for benchmark work.
  • I want to use the CPU and GPU governors in performance mode, rather than using `jetson_clocks`, as I still want thermal throttling when necessary. With the governors set to performance, this is still possible but it is essentially disabled if `jetson_clocks` has been used to prevent all the clocks from going to anything below their the maximum frequency.
  • Nvpmodel is set to MAXN.
  • I'm running using the recommended micro-USB power supply.

Testing

This all sounds so unlikely that I’m guessing you think I’m making some kind of mistake here - but I can consistently show this behavior and have rechecked my steps each time. I’ve outlined these steps below and also include links to two scripts on GitHub that I used to repeatedly restart my Nano and run these steps.

The first script sets the CPU and GPU governors to performance and runs the SSD-Mobilenet-V2 benchmark three times (with pauses to avoid any heat-related issues) and then reboots the system. I’ve left it rerunning repeatedly overnight and consistently get a run time of around 12 minutes per run of the benchmark.

The second script sets the CPU governors to performance, runs the SSD-Mobilenet-V2 benchmark once, then additionally sets the GPU governor to performance, runs the benchmark again and then reboots the system. I’ve left it rerunning repeatedly overnight and consistently get a run time of around 3m 50s for the second run of the benchmark.

If you try these scripts make sure you’ve just rebooted your Nano before the first run.

Prerequisites

I conducted all my tests on a Nano that has been set up:

• Not to boot into graphical mode.
  • Not to require a password for `sudo`.
  • To allow password-less SSH login using SSH keys.

I always used WiFi, rather than wired Ethernet, to connect to the Nano.

1. Turn off requiring a password for sudo:

$ sudo visudo

And change the following line:

%sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

To:

%sudo   ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

2. By default the Nano boots into graphical mode:

$ systemctl get-default
graphical.target

Disable this as we want to reserve the GPU completely for benchmarking:

$ sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

We want WiFi to start automatically but by default, it only starts if someone has logged in (typically via the GNOME display manager). So change this:

$ cd /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections
$ ls

Assuming there’s just one file here (named the same as your WiFi network), edit this file:

$ sudo vim *

And find the line starting permissions, it should be of the form:

permissions=user:my-user-name:;

Remove everything after the = leaving just:

permissions=

3. Setting up SSH keys to allow password-less SSH login to the Nano.

This is slightly more involved than the other steps and I’m presuming many people already know how to do this - so I’m not going to include a tutorial here. There are many such tutorials on the web, e.g. this one from DigitalOcean.

Benchmarking

To try things by hand (assuming you’ve already installed the SSD-Mobilenet-V2 benchmark in /usr/src/tensorrt/bin as per the Nvidia benchmarks page) the steps are as follows.

Reboot the system:

$ sudo reboot now

After logging in, following the reboot, set the CPU governors:

$ for gov in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
do
echo performance | sudo tee -a $gov
done

Then set the GPU governor:

$ echo performance | sudo tee -a /sys/devices/57000000.gpu/devfreq/57000000.gpu/governor

Go to the benchmarks directory:

$ cd /usr/src/tensorrt/bin

Check the GPU temperature etc. before running the benchmark:

$ timeout 2s tegrastats

Run the benchmark, using time to give a total time (as well as the times output by the benchmark):

$ time sudo ./sample_uff_ssd_rect

Check the GPU temperature etc. after running the benchmark:

$ timeout 2s tegrastats

Results

If I run through the steps as above the benchmark consistently takes about 12m to run. And no matter how many times I rerun sample_uff_ssd_rect it takes a similar amount of time.

However if I reboot the system and skip the setting of the GPU governor, run sample_uff_ssd_rect once, and then set the GPU governor, I get much better results when rerunning sample_uff_ssd_rect.

Scripts

I’ve created two scripts called bad-performance and good-performance.

Both reboot the system on completion and I’ve run both repeatedly overnight from a remote system (to confirm that I get consistent results) like so:

$ while true
do
    date
    ssh jetson@jetsonnano.local ./bad-performance
    sleep 120
done

Obviously, you’ll need to change jetson to the username appropriate for your setup, and change bad-performance to good-performance if you want to run the other script.

The bad-performance script reruns the benchmark three times - showing that it consistently achieves a terrible runtime of 12m.

The good-performance script runs the benchmark twice, first without the GPU governor set to performance and then with it set to performance. For comparison it also runs two additional setups:

• The GPU governor set to its default but with the GPU min_freq set to max.
  • All clocks etc. set to max with `jetson_clocks`.

As expected using jetson_clocks results in the best overall performance but setting all the CPU and GPU governors to performance is almost as good (and probably better when used e.g. in a robot setup, as the governors can still enable thermal throttling when necessary).

You can find the steps for these four comparisons laid out in more detail here.

You can find logs (captured using script) of running both scripts repeatedly overnight (using the above while loop) in bad-typescript.txt and good-typescript.txt.

Hello Georges,

really interesting and quite strange. It would be nice if Nvidia could look at this problem very closely.

Alain

Hi,

Thanks for your reporting.
We will check this issue and update more information with you later.

Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry for keeping you waiting.
After some internal testing, we cannot reproduce this issue on our side. Here is our result:

bad-performance script :
https://github.com/george-hawkins/jetson-nano-performance/blob/master/bad-performance
real 3m47.894s
real 3m41.023s
real 3m41.321s

good-performance script :
https://github.com/george-hawkins/jetson-nano-performance/blob/master/good-performance
real 3m47.940s
real 3m40.596s
real 3m41.060s

Do we miss any thing? Suppose you are using our official Nano board without customization, is it correct?
Thanks.

Hello AastaLLL - thanks for following up and thanks for taking the time to install the benchmark applications and run my scripts.

Just to confirm:

• Are you sure that you had rebooted the Nano system just before running the bad-performance script? This resets all clocks to their default settings.
  • Are you sure that the GPU was being used solely for the benchmarks?

I.e. if you run systemctl get-default does it report multi-user.target rather than graphical.target?

I have a standard non-customized Nano board. I’ll describe my setup in more detail:

• I have a Raspberry Pi camera module connected.
  • I have an Intel 8265.NGWMG WiFi module connected.
  • I ran my tests while connected via ssh over WiFi (rather than ethernet).
  • I’m using an official Raspberry Pi micro-USB power supply (which I’ve tested - like the recommended Adafruit power supply, it supplies about 5.20V and about 2.5A).
  • I’m using a Samsung Evo+ UHS-I 64GB Class 10 microSD card.

I will order a new microSD card now so I can install a completely clean setup to test with and I will strip the system, removing the camera and WiFi module, leaving just the microSD card. I’ll continue using the micro-USB power supply and will switch to connecting via ethernet.

I’ll report back on the results once I’ve got this new setup in place.

Thanks again for taking the time to try and reproduce the results I’ve seen.

Hi,

The main difference is systemctl mode.
It looks like our default graphical.target mode fixes the issue. Is this an option for you?

Thanks.

Hi,

We also test multi-user.target mode, the result looks are similar.

[bad-performance script]
real 3m43.027s
user 0m35.808s
sys 1m44.296s

[good-performance script]
real 3m43.411s
user 0m36.040s
sys 1m44.184s

So the bad performance should cause by other device connected to the Jetson Nano.
Thanks.