This PCI I/O region assigned to your NVIDIA device is invalid (Above 4G decoding already enabled)

I have at Tesla M40 24GB gpu. It is plugged into an Asus Z97-A. Running Linux Mint XFCE 19.10. I tried to install the driver for it. I got this error: “Unable to load the kernel module ‘nvidia.ko’”. Looking into the logs I find this error:

This PCI I/O region assigned to your NVIDIA device is invalid:
BAR1 is 0M @ 0x0 (PCI:0000:01:00.0)

I don’t have any other video cards, but I do have an M.2 drive in there.

I have googled around and found that I need to enable Above 4G decoding in the bios. So I enabled it. I also updated the bios to the latest version 3503. After multiple restarts and removing and reinstalling the driver, I still can’t get it to work. I just get the same old error. What do I need to do?

Thank you!

I have the same issue with the same motherboard running Ubuntu 20.04- found this post suggesting CSM might be part of the issue: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvrm-this-pci-i-o-region-assigned-to-your-nvidia-device-is-invalid/81645/21

I’m going to try a clean reinstall with CSM disabled. Reading around, it looks like some desktop motherboards are simply cannot support Teslas