trying to get cuda working on my netbook with ION2 chipset

I’ve been playing with Ubuntu 12.04

I have tried multiple times, with multiple guides, drivers from both NVIDIA and the software centre to get CUDA working and I’ve failed every time.

The specifications of the chip-set claim to be CUDA compatible.

I do an “sudo lspci | grep VGA” and I get:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 0a76 (rev a2)

So I read up on the 5.0 version of the CUDA tool-kit and it doesn’t list my chip-set…

so if this is indeed my problem can someone please give me a link to the most recent matching version of the CUDA tool-kit and NVIDIA driver for my chip-set set from the NVIDIA web site.

I’m open to any other suggestions that more experienced linux/cuda users may have.

Many thanks in advance

Andrew

Sounds like this is equivalent to Optimus, except with an ION chip. If that’s the case, you’ll need to use either Bumblebee or new NVIDIA drivers and one of the latest kernels that has support for Optimus graphics natively via xrandr… Take a peek in the Linux forums and you’ll find a few threads where people mention how to make it work.

new NVIDIA drivers don’t work at all…

i did try bumblebee but couldn’t work out how to make the GPU work with steam launched games or with BOINC (Seti@home).

so CUDA is not an option at all?

i forgot to mention that no matter what i played with or poked or moded… i could not get “nvidia-settings” to detect running nvidia drivers and i swear i’ve run “nvidia-xconfig” over 100 times over the last week

Bumblebee isn’t the easiest possible thing to set up at times. Are you able to optirun glxgears or optirun firefox after it’s installed? If you get errors, that just means you might have to configure it correctly – the default config doesn’t always work. Their webpage has decent support, but you can always post back here with issues and me or someone else could point you in the right direction.

You don’t mention how they ‘do not work’, can’t get much useful troubleshooting with that. ;)

Bumblebee isn’t the easiest possible thing to set up at times. Are you able to optirun glxgears or optirun firefox after it’s installed? If you get errors, that just means you might have to configure it correctly – the default config doesn’t always work. Their webpage has decent support, but you can always post back here with issues and me or someone else could point you in the right direction.

[/quote]

Bunblebee uses a separate X display, so you’ll have to call nvidia-settings with the screen that Bumblebee is running on… default is 8, I believe, so you’d run it as:

optirun nvidia-settings -c :8

ok I’m taking all that into consideration I’ll comment back with my progress.

Thanks muchly vacaloca

all was going great… then i did a apt-get autoremove to clean up and it completely broke my install… starting again

Now that i think of it… this has happened to me quite a few times… i think dependencies are broken in the bumblebee or nvidia-current packages

ok… fresh install and its all working perfectly… i still wanted to put cuda on here… is there any point in trying to put cuda 5.5 on a laptop thats 3 years old?

I was going to chime in on that… as a test system just to see what the basics are and see the minimum of what you can accomplish, sure… otherwise… eh, not so much. Another user here posted a blog detailing ION2 here on this blog a while back:

[url]http://www.pixel.io/blog/2010/9/30/cuda-ion2-benchmarks.html[/url]

thanks mate… I’ll have a read of that in the morning…

but what i really meant was cuda 5 over cuda 4 over cuda 3…

but yes i get what your saying… this chipset specs says 16 cuda processors, vs the 500-600 on my 550ti or the 1500+ on the 680… both of which are in my desktop. :)

thanks

yay i finally have everything running properly…

installed bumblebee, boinc, (packaged with nvidia-current)… installed the fresh latest nvidia drivers for 64bit linux over the top. just don’t run “nvidia-xconfig” and let bumblebee handle the display drivers.

all fantastic

Thanks

theotherguy

In regards to compute capability features the table on Wiki summarizes the features available on the ION2 (CC 1.2) and any newer cards: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA#Version_features_and_specifications
Glad you got it working :)