TX1 won't boot after flushing R24.2.2 into it

I recently tried upgrading the TX1 to R24.2.2 following the “Quick Start Guide”. However, the system cannot boot after that. It is stuck in the booting screen forever. The error message says “EXT4-fs error loading journal”. Does anyone know where is wrong?
The host system is Ubuntu 17.04 if this issue might be relevant.

I would guess that your PC host used for flash has 64-bit ext4 options enabled (the Linux kernel in L4T understands those extensions, but U-Boot does not). Take a look at file “/etc/mke2fs.conf”. Make sure the ext4 section does not by default enable “64bit” or “metadata_csum”. If they do you can add this to the mkfs.ext4 line in flash.sh as options:

-O ^metadata_csum,^64bit

The carrot “^” symbol tells mkfs.ext4 to NOT use those options.

More and more host PCs will start using the 64-bit extensions since they are useful with larger disks. It would probably be a good idea for the next L4T release to do a preemptive addition of the options to avoid those extensions.

I found “64bit” and “metadata_csum” are enabled in /etc/mke2fs.conf. However, I cannot find the mkfs.ext4 line in flash.sh. If possible, could you tell me which specific line in flash.sh should I modify? I am using the flash.sh from R24.2.2 package. Much thanks!

Solved. I modified the /etc/mke2fs.conf file before flushing. Thank you for the help!

The file in “/etc” does of course work, but just in case someone is curious, the R24.2 flash.sh line is line 505 which has:

mkfs -t $4 "${loop_dev}" > /dev/null 2>&1;

…you’d add the above options to become:

<s>mkfs -t $4 "${loop_dev}" <b>-O ^metadata_csum,^64bit</b> > /dev/null 2>&1;</s>
mkfs -t $4 <b>-O ^metadata_csum,^64bit</b> "${loop_dev}" > /dev/null 2>&1;

In the R28.1 flash.sh it is line 501. “makefs.ext4” is equivalent to “makefs -t ext4”.

On my system, the “-O ^metadata_csum,^64bit” part needed to be placed before the “${loop_dev}” like this:

mkfs -t $4 -O ^metadata_csum,^64bit "${loop_dev}" > /dev/null 2>&1;

I added a correction in the previous post. Thanks!