ubuntu 18.04 nvidia430 two external monitors detected but wont turn on

I have been trying to resolve this for sometime.

I have an alienware m15 laptop with intel/rtx 2060 and connected to the alieware graphics amplifier with a gtx 1060 card tied to 2 external samsung 24" monitors.

I have this working completely fine in win10 and had it working in ubuntu 18.04 using nvidia390 drivers, but it only saw the gtx 1060 and not the rtx 2060, and running 4.15 kernel, but was needing to upgrade to 5.2.2 kernel to get wifi working, so installed nvidia430 drivers by way of “sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall” and now ubuntu sees both the rtx 2060 and gtx 1060 cards in nvidia-settings and it does see the 2 external monitors however, they will not turn on.

I can even go into gnome-control-center and it sees the monitors as disabled and trying to enable them does nothing. I ran xrandr -q and it reports all 3 displays, the laptop and 2 monitors, but the 2 monitors are disabled according to xrandr. I got the login loop and changed to lightdm and now I get the error popup “Could not set the configuration for CRTC 64” which from what I can tell online is either a bug in ubuntu or an issue with being able to change the resolutions, which I have tried numerous ways, the monitors refuse to turn on.

I am at a loss of what to try next. I am open to any suggestions…

Thanks in advance!!

That’s a mixed three gpu setup, I don’t think anything you have in mind can be achievable. Just stacking some gpus and adding up their graphics power doesn’t work.
Useful possibilities would be the first case you had with the 2060 disabled, just with it enabled for cuda workloads only instead of graphics or the 2060 working on the internal display and having a separate second X screen running on the 1060. This means you can’t move windows between them. Tucking them together using Xinerama would mean loss of graphics accel.

Yeah, all I am really trying to achieve is the same thing in Windows, where the 2060 is disabled when using the amplifier and it uses the 1060 and 2 external monitors, which makes it like a desktop for me.

It would be nice if there was a way to disable the discrete 2060 and use only the 1060 and 2 external monitors when plugged into the amplifier, basically turning the laptop into a desktop like I do in windows.

I originally was able to use the 2 external monitors/amplifier/1060 in ubuntu when I was using the nvidia390 drivers which did not work with the discrete 2060 (in essence disabled), however this meant when I used it as a laptop the 2060 did not work, only the intel.

So, I found that using the nvidia430 drivers in the ppa it sees both cards using the one driver in ubuntu, however, the 1060 is gpu1 and the 2060 is gpu0 and do not get disabled, which is what I would ultimately like to do, use the laptop with amplifier in linux as I do in windows and turn it into a desktop.

Thanks for your thoughts…

Ok, that should be achievable the question is just to which amount of automatism.
Currently, the 2060 gets picked first by the Xserver probably because it has the lower bus number, please post the output of
sudo lspci -nn

yeah I think so too, then did some more digging and wondered if someone else was trying to do this for like just an eGPU with 2 nvidia cards, so then I found this guy who wrote a script for ubuntu 19.04 and it works like a charm!!!

check it out, the guy even puts a link to his git repo to get the source if you want, it basically what it does is a script that he created that once you tell it which is the internal gpu and external gpu, it runs on boot and detects if there is the external nvidia card connected via thunderbolt (of course alienware uses their own port for the amplified but still uses the same bus as thunderbolt does, just more bus/data lines). Once the script detects the external card, then it disables the internal one, which is what I was wanting it to do, so gpu0 in nvidia-settings shows at the 1060 card in the amplifier and now it is able to turn on my 2 external monitors. I couldnt be more pleased!!

thanks for your help and hope this script i found helps you or someone else in the future!!

SOLVED.