Unable to load nvidia-drm kernel module

I was attempting to install the NVIDIA driver (430.40) for CentOS7 and have received the following error -

“ERROR: Unable to load nvidia-drm kernel module”

The installation completes 89% of the bar but does not continue due to this issue.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be great.

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting .gz file to your post. Hovering the mouse over an existing post of yours will reveal a paperclip icon.
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1043347/announcements/attaching-files-to-forum-topics-posts/[/url]

The log file should be attached now
nvidia-bug-report.log (525 Bytes)

Unfortunately, the log is nearly empty. Please re-run the script with the --safe-mode option.

I am seeing the same error.
I have an ASUS ROG Strix Scar II laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070. My second monitor connected via HDMI quit working (black screen) right after I updated the BIOS to v307. I have this laptop as a dual boot with Windows 10 (2nd monitor works) and Ubuntu 19.04 (2nd monitor does not work). I had re-installed the latest 3rd party drivers v418 installed via Ubuntu’s driver tool, but it just was not working. So I downloaded the v430 drivers, but now getting the “ERROR: Unable to load nvidia-drm kernel module”. I am attaching my install log and the output from the nvidia-bug-report.sh. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
nvidia-installer.log.gz (4.72 KB)

Web site won’t let me upload the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz with Chromium ??? Switched to Firefox web browser to upload this one.
nvidia-bug-report-2.log.gz (136 KB)

I got my NVIDIA to work again on both monitors, but went back to the 418 driver. However, I had to purge everything, which was drastic. Here’s how I did it…

1. Because my nvidia drivers were not already loaded and/or working and was using the X.org server, I purged the nvidia packages while I was logged into my account. Note however that this does not get rid of all nvidia files.
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

2a) Find all remaining nvidia packages…
sudo apt list --installed | grep nvidia

2b) … and remove them if any left by using one or more of the following commands. IE:
sudo apt-get remove nvidia
sudo apt autoremove nvidia # You may need to enter any other packages from the list above.

1. Thoroughly removed all files and directories with nvidia in the filename. I also attached a listing of all the nvidia files I had left over even after uninstalling and purging the packages. Please be forewarned that this will corrupt existing packages, such as linux-firmware. I did this as a test to isolate the issue. If someone from this forum can help me identify which one of the files is causing this issue, that would save a lot of hassle. I highly recommend doing a full backup before doing this so that you can recover the files if needed. You can also use “debsums” to find the missing files.
    sudo find /usr /etc /lib -iname “nvidia” -exec rm -rvf {} ;

2. Rebooted into single user mode (there’s tutorials for that if you don’t know how), and installed the drivers.

ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

reboot

1. After reboot, my display came up only on my second monitor. In fact if I had my second HDMI monitor unplugged, my system would hang just before the login screen until I plugged it back in. So to resolve that, I had to remove the xorg.conf that got created somewhere along the line during the autoinstall or boot. In hindsight, you might be able to just remove this file while in single user mode to prevent this.
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo reboot

This proves that there was some nvidia file that was in conflict with all of this and by thoroughly purging them, I was able to successfully re-install my nvidia 418 drivers and get all of my monitors working again (BIOS updates sure can be tricky). This may work the same for the 430 drivers, but after spending several days fighting with this, I’m leaving my system alone and working for now. Good luck with yours!

nvidia_inventory_after_apt_remove_purge.out.gz (1.58 KB)