ERROR: Unable to load the 'nvidia-drm' kernel module

Hello,

I have an old Lenovo ThinkCenter m93p with Intel core i7 and 32GB RAM, with CentOS 7.6.1810, kernel 3.10.0-327.4.5.el7.x86_64. I upgraded the video card to GeForce GT710. System was using the nouveau driver by default. Followed instructions from this post Installing NVIDIA Drivers on RHEL or CentOS 7 - Advanced Clustering Technologies to:

(1) install necessary kernel devel packages
(2) blacklist nouveau, build a new initramfs without nouveau
(3) start the system in multi-user.target: analogous to runlevel 3, verified nouveau is not loaded in ‘lsmod’
(4) start the Nvidia installer. here are the last few lines, I’d like to have some help on what to debug next.

→ Installing ‘NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64’ (418.56):
executing: ‘/sbin/ldconfig’…
→ done.
→ Driver file installation is complete.
→ Installing DKMS kernel module:
→ done.
ERROR: Unable to load the ‘nvidia-drm’ kernel module.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’ for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

I’ve collected nvidia-bug-report.log.gz, but having trouble figuring out how to attach it to this “topic”. hmm…

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (79.5 KB)
nvidia-installer.log (3.28 KB)

Folks,

My problem is resolved :) There was a tiny inconsistency in the kernel version I was running (3.10.0-327.4.5.el7.x86_64), and the kernel-devel I had installed (3.10.0-957.10.1.el7.x86_64). Upgraded my kernel and the driver is installed!

–m