Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'

Hi,

I’m trying to install Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu 13.10 by running NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-331.49.run.

I created a blacklist file under /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-file-drivers.conf and added nouveau to the list.

Also, I ran the installation after killing my display manager (sudo service lightdm stop). I’m working with gcc 4.8.

I’m getting the following error (from the installation log file):

ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module ‘nvidia.ko’. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as rivafb, nvidiafb, or nouveau is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s), or no NVIDIA GPU installed in this system is supported by this NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.

Can someone please explain what the problem is and how can I fix it so I can finally install the drivers?

Thanks,
Gil

The problem is likely due to one of the issues listed in that error message. You’ll need to go through them one by one, modifying things to rule them out.

blacklisting nouveau is frequently not enough. Often it is necessary to remove it from the initrd image as well.

as root:

echo -e “blacklist nouveau\noptions nouveau modeset=0” > /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf
update-initramfs -u

It looks like you did something like the first line already - that is the blacklist. The second line will remove it from the initrd image.

Section 8.1 of the driver README document discusses nouveau:

[url]http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/340.24/README/index.html[/url]

Team , I am also getting same error message .

I have already tried below steps :-

echo -e “blacklist nouveau\noptions nouveau modeset=0” > /etc/modprobe.d/disable-nouveau.conf
update-initramfs -u

and rebooted the system.