Unable to render tty when I install propritary drivers

When I install the proprietary nvidia drivers on any linux distribution (tested on void, gentoo, arco) I am unable to render the tty. If I boot into a distribution with the drivers installed, my screen is frozen almost instantly. Uninstalling the drivers fixes this. The only way for me to get around this is either sign in and type startx while my screen is frozen or install a login manager. For some reason, login managers display perfectly fine and I can enter an X11 or wayland session with the drivers working normally (opengl shaders render very well at high fps).

I am on an alienware M15 R4 with an rtx 3060 Mobile / Max-Q and Intel CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics]

This sounds like a known kernel bug where loading a driver for a different GPU (in this case the Intel GPU) sabotages the framebuffer console on a different GPU.

More discussion:

thanks. I’ll see if I can fix it using a custom kernel but I’m not expecting much.

Can you try this please ?
All commands must be typed as root.

Open a terminal and move to the modprobe.d folder:

cd /etc/modprobe.d

Then, with your favorite text editor (nano or vim or whatever) create a new text file named: nvidia-blacklist-nvfb.conf

nano nvidia-blacklist-nvfb.conf

Inside this text file, type the following line:

blacklist nvidiafb

Save your file with ctrl+o (if you used nano), exit with ctrl+x, then, update your initramfs:

update-initramfs -u

Reboot your computer. Normally, the terminals should be accessible again. Either by starting your pc without a graphical interface, or by using the CTRL+ALT+FX functions.

I’ve the same problem since the kernel 6.2. But after blacklisting nvidiafb, terminals are accessible again. I hope it will work for you too.

I do not have update-initramfs so I used dracut -f --regenerate-all but other than that I did everything as you said and it did not work. Thanks for trying though.

I have fix it using Kernal but i am unable to update initramfs so, i used dracut -f --regenerate-all but other than that I did everything.

I’m on kernel 6.1.19
I added and removed the lines in the post (picture is my aperture.c file) but it did not work unfortanetely. Was I supposed to run a command after writing the lines?

you need rebuild you kernel