Using GT 7600 as display cards

I usually have a GT240 as my single-slot “display” card while the GTX480s or GTX295s do the CUDA heavy lifting.

A friend has offered me a bunch of 2006 era GT 7600 cards from salvage systems. Before I accept, I wonder if such cards can work as display-only cards while CUDA enabled cards are also installed and active.

The GT7600 is a pre-CUDA card and I have a vague recollection of discussions of driver incompatibility when mixed with G80 and later cards.

Anyone here have experience with using such G70 cards for display?

I will have so many of these cards I even plan to try some of the x1 PCIe shaving hacks with some, gaining an extra PCIe slot for more CUDA.

I don’t have one lying around anymore, but it should be ok (on Linux at least). At the moment the unified driver supports G70 and G80/90/GT200/GF100 so that part should be covered. Whether Windows imposes any extra limitations is a question I am happy not to have to know the answer to…

I don’t have one lying around anymore, but it should be ok (on Linux at least). At the moment the unified driver supports G70 and G80/90/GT200/GF100 so that part should be covered. Whether Windows imposes any extra limitations is a question I am happy not to have to know the answer to…

Nope, works fine. In fact, before CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES made everything simple, a lot of CUDA driver guys used older non-CUDA cards when first testing a new chip to prevent any possibility of getting confused and using the wrong GPU.

Nope, works fine. In fact, before CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES made everything simple, a lot of CUDA driver guys used older non-CUDA cards when first testing a new chip to prevent any possibility of getting confused and using the wrong GPU.

Excellent, thanks! I expected it should work, but it’s always useful to ask confirmation first.

Excellent, thanks! I expected it should work, but it’s always useful to ask confirmation first.