[Various/all Distros] Numerous Performance & Rendering Issues on 390.25

As suggested by loqs at the Arch Linux forums, here’s my nvidia-bug-report.log: https://r.je/nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

Same issue but downgrading didn’t help either. On threadripper arch with 4.15 kernel.

Downgrading what? kernel or nvidia driver?

Both kernel and driver. I even tried it on a different system with same results and errors. I’ll upload the logs once I get home.
file_log.gz (98.3 KB)

I also noticed regressions going from version 387.34 to 390.25. The most annoying thing is that Chromecast stopped working: if I try to cast a video from a Chrome tab to the Chromecast I only get a green background as output and the video on the tab is extremely laggy. With 387.34 both videos are visible and with no performance issue.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (151 KB)

Same problem here:

Linux Mint 18.3
4.13.0-32-generic
X.Org X Server 1.19.5
GeForce GT 750M Mac Edition
GLX Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.25

Dozens of people are affected on Arch community forum. After upgrade to 390.25. Including me.

Here is a link the topic which is constantly getting bigger - Terrible performance regression with Nvidia 390.25 driver / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums

Guys, any of you facing the problem, really needs to post the nvidia-bug-report here.
Several users posted in this thread but at least 10 of them didn’t provide anything other than “me too!” (not useful at all)

That said, it would be fine if a dev could jump here and say something like “we’re investigating”, or at least “you’ve got our attention”.

Hey everybody, OP here. Unfortunately, in the past 2 weeks, life has kept me from investigating this any further on my PC.

I saw that some of you were also experiencing hard disk thrashing. If you have some time to look further, perhaps you could try generix’s suggestions above (iotop and ~/.nv folder)?

I’m about to hop on a plane to Germany and won’t be near this PC for the next 2 months. I did some digging about iotop and found this how-to:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/hardware/linux-iotop-simple-top-like-io-monitor/

I guess another way to see what’s thrashing the HDD would be the System Monitor app that both Ubuntu and Mint (probably other distros too) have.

Glad to see I’m not alone on this. Hoping there’ll be a fix soon.

Well with arch and let latest kernel available the issues persist. These show up constantly with chrome, firefox and dota2. Log attached
log.gz (104 KB)

I also experience very heavy performance issues with 390 which were not present before. FPS in my games is cut in half. I am really looking forward to my next PC build which will have an AMD card. Nvidia just does not care about its linux users.

GPU: GeForce GTX 970
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.15.3-2-ARCH
DE: KDE 5.43.0 / Plasma 5.12.1
Resolution: 6400x1440

Or maybe this issue is not that easy to reproduce.

I’m running 390.25 here with GTX 1060 6GB and Linux 4.15.3 and I have zero issues.

@birdie - and your post is still useless with no distro or versioning info.

Gnome? KDE? Something else?

Arch? Gentoo? Ubuntu? Fedora? Debian?

I see the same problem with desktop performance in general when using KDE on Fedora 27 - and using a Gigabyte 1060 Gaming G1:

Distro doesn’t matter a tiny bit.

What matters is

1. X.org version - mine is quite old: 1.15 something
  2. Compositing (Window Manager) - I don’t use it.

My only issue with these drivers is that idle power usage has increased by 25% (from 8W to 10W).

Or maybe they just don’t care. They released a nvidia driver in december 2016 which bricked my system for an entire month. They figured out the regression after about 4 days of reporting it, but still took an month to release it.

Thread for reference: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/977518/linux/problems-with-multiple-opengl-applications-running-simultaneously-with-375-20-on-a-gtx970/post/5023685/#5023685

I’m on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, kernel 4.15, and Nvidia driver 390.

My performance issues are IDENTICAL to the videos the OP posted in the thread, and it is incredibly frustrating.

I will be able to post debug logs once I’m more available, possibly today. But I am severely disappointed with the results of these drivers… the worst part is I’m unsure if its even possible to downgrade to 387 with 4.15 (can anybody chime in on this? i’m no expert on downgrading and mix-matching software). I’d rather be running 4.15 as it has the latest security patches and I’d pick the security of my system over everything else. Some attention with Nvidia or at least some kind of acknowledgement would be nice…

384.111 drivers work just fine under Linux 4.15.

Crossposting what i wrote on the Arch Linux forum a while ago:

Tom B, affected by the bug, couldn’t reproduce with the live usb image, so anyone can try.
And if the issue could not be reproduced, i think it would be extremely useful to post an nvidia-bug-report of the unaffected live usb and anoter one from the affected installation for the nvidia driver devs.
Also, the unaffected usb installation could give useful hints to narrow down to the offending package or environment or settings.
see:

I’m not sure why I said 384 as I meant 387.

I purged nvidia-390 and all dependencies, rebooted, installed nvidia-387 and hopped in but there was issues. I opened the Nvidia Settings, enabled the Nvidia card and rebooted. It wouldn’t actually let me use the Nvidia card. After the reboot, I re-opened the panel and it would be back to my integrated card. I rebooted and tried a reinstall of 387 after uninstalling it. Still same issue.

Currently 384 is working for me, any reason you can think of this? It’s weird because 384 works fine after installing but 387 refuses.

I thought things seemed choppy for a while.

Reverted to 387 driver and things are much smoother. Clearly something is going on.

Arch Linux, Xorg 1.19.6, Kernel 4.15.3, GTX 970.

I’ll reinstall 390.25 and generate a nvidia-bug-report if needed, but at the moment I think they probably already know something or what is wrong.