Hey generix, thanks for the suggestion! Yes, it works the same way in both browsers. I forgot to mention that I double-checked that as well during the few hours I was on version 390. Acceleration is enabled for everything except:
This is pretty much the same I’ve had in the past few years. I wonder if the problem is unrelated to any browser settings? I did have a lot of uninterrupted hard drive activity while I was on 390, though I can’t say for sure whether it was also rattling while I didn’t have a browser open.
I’ve been back on 387.34 since yesterday and my system runs smoothly.
Same problem on my MSI with a GTX970 after the upgrade to 390.12 driers. Linux ming 18.3, chrome is flaky, slow, and choppy. I’ve turned off hardware acceleration and seem to have things working as expected again.
Thanks for the further suggestions! I will try to find some time today or tomorrow to go back to 390.25 and have a look at iotop and the ~/.nv folder, and to investigate the hard disk thrashing a bit more. It’s a busy end of the week here, but when I have more data, I will post back here.
Long story short, it’s not just Mint that’s affected, but something in how Chrome interacts with the system/driver makes the problem manifest. The same issue doesn’t seem to manifest in NWJS, which is based on Chromium.
For what it’s worth, I did not notice the hard drive activity mentioned in the first post.
Same situation for me on Arch Linux with xorg 1.19.6, nvidia 390.25 and kernel 4.15.1. However not only chrome, but also my chromium browser is affected.
In addition to this there is also a new bug which breaks vsync as seen on vsynctester.com this makes all video including Netflix unwatchable due to stutter (60 hz instead of correct 59.95 as before). Let me know if you experience stutter (I will be starting a new thread). Hardware is in signature.
Performance in Chromium (especially video rendering) is significantly worse than before the update and all my games have significantly worse performance by more than 50%. Skyrim via wine was running at 50-60fps, now I’m seeing 15-20. I did mess around with my wine config trying to diagnose the issue so it could be part of it too.
It could be a kernel issue. The meltdown/spectre updates were supposed to hinder performance but this doesn’t seem CPU related to me.
The stutter, in games at least, occurs when new resources are loaded. For example, while playing Starcraft II via wine, when a new unit was rendered or a new texture was loaded it caused stutter. For example, the game would run smoothly-ish (worse than earlier drivers) but stutter when I clicked on a new unit type for the first time. It loads the unit portrait and a few other things. This happened once per unit, once all the units had been clicked on once, the stutter mostly stopped.