Vk_error_device_lost in many game titles

Starting lately i get vk_error_device_lost error with hangs in games using wine under Gentoo Linux Gnome Desktop 3.36 it started after a recent driver update like >440.100

2 Likes

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

This bug probably has to do with DXVK please check the GitHub issue at: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/1791. Multiple people have been experiencing this bug on every driver version after 440.100.

…but nobody seems to have reported here, at least using the search didn’t bring up anything related.
nvidia-bug-report.log?
hardware setup?
reproduction steps?
games affected?
I guess @amrits would like to play some new games.

I’ve emailed my nvidia-bug-report.log.gz to linux-bugs@nvidia.com.

That should be in the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

Play the games enough. Or specifically with DXVK 1.7.1 which lacks this work around: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/commit/16a51f3c03d5bc52ba67101fb5a5cd5b8d96fa94

Here is a list of games people have reported to the DXVK bug tracker that crash (I would provide links to them but I am restricted to 3 links per post):

Ghostrunner
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
Final Fantasy XIV
World of Warcraft and Thief 2014
Unigine Superposition

Final Fantasy XIV is really fun!

I’ve attached my DXVK log for the crash to this report I am not sure how helpful it will be.

ffxiv_dx11_d3d11.log (61.5 KB)

Edit: Correction DXVK 1.7.2 was when the work around was introduced. Therefor testing with DXVK 1.7.1 should recreate this crash much more frequently.

Edit: Some more debugging info.

Working versions:

Broken versions:

I guess you then already did all you could. Now you can only keep bugging.

There’s not really anything I can do but wait for Nvidia to release a new driver and hope it’s fixed and that hasn’t been working well so far. I’m sure the gaming community would very much appreciate if Nvidia actually looked into this bug and got it fixed.