Vulkan application freeze after suspend or switch to virtual terminal

• run any Vulkan graphics software like game or a video player,
  • suspend computer or switch to VT (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+F1),
  • resume from suspend or go back to X11,
  • application is freezed on vkVaitForFences() - needs to be killed (computer/mouse freeze for a few seconds when killing) and started again,

Happens always, also on 455.45.01 drivers.

1 Like

Can confirm the freeze when switching TTY happens without fail using nvidia 455.45.01.

Haven’t tried suspending.

I just found this problem. Using Unity 2019 I enabled Vulkan rendering to use the frame debugger and found the application completely frozen after a resume and had to be killed via System Monitor.

But I doubt this is an Nvidia problem as I discovered this problem running on my integrated Amd gpu. It does happen the same on the Nvidia dgpu too though.

Using a simple test like vkcube with my intel igpu causes no issues when switching tty/suspending but only when the nvidia card is rendering a vulkan app it happens.

It doesn’t happen if whatever i happen to be running on the nvidia gpu is switched to opengl rendering.

If it’s something that’s able to be replicated on AMD Integrated GPU’s then could it mean that the problem is with Vulkan itself?

If it’s something that’s able to be replicated on AMD Integrated GPU’s then could it mean that the problem is with Vulkan itself?

I don’t have any freezes on integrated AMD Vega 8 - I can suspend/resume and switch VTs - Vulkan applications (e.g. vkcube) are still running properly.

This bug still exists on Nvidia 470.42.01. When you kill a freezed Vulkan application on Nvidia, the graphics is freezed on ~10 seconds!

Another annoyance, but not associate with this thread is stuttering when moving v-synced windows…