WARNING:root:_pkg_get_support nvidia-driver-510: package has invalid Support PBheader, cannot determine support level

I entered ubuntu-drivers devices and i got the message below
WARNING:root:_pkg_get_support nvidia-driver-510: package has invalid Support PBheader, cannot determine support level
== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd00001D11sv00001028sd00000979bc03sc02i00
vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
model : GP108M [GeForce MX230]
driver : nvidia-driver-470-server - distro non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-450 - third-party non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-510 - third-party non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-470 - distro non-free recommended
driver : nvidia-driver-418-server - distro non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-450-server - distro non-free
driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

tried a lot but with no success.

Any hint would be helpful.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

Here it is
nvidia-bug-report.log (2.3 MB)

The driver seems to be correctly installed. Any issues you experience?

It works for me! Can you try sudo apt install --reinstall nvidia-driver-510?

ubuntu-drivers list
WARNING:root:_pkg_get_support nvidia-driver-390: package has invalid Support Legacyheader, cannot determine support level
nvidia-driver-450-server, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-450-server-generic)
nvidia-driver-470, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-470-generic)
nvidia-driver-470-server, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-470-server-generic)
nvidia-driver-418-server, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-418-server-generic)
nvidia-driver-390, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-390-generic)
nvidia-driver-510, (kernel modules provided by linux-modules-nvidia-510-generic)

cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS \n \l

apt list nvidia-driver-510
Listing... Done
nvidia-driver-510/focal-updates,focal-security,now 510.47.03-0ubuntu0.20.04.1 amd64 [installed]
1 Like

I am getting the same issue. This is the output when I enter ubuntu-drivers devices:

== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.1/0000:01:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd000025A0sv0000103Csd000088EDbc03sc00i00
driver : nvidia-driver-510 - third-party non-free recommended

Hereby I attached the bug report after running nvidia-bug-report.sh
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (311.6 KB)

I have a gamer laptop HP-victus 16, and I am dual booting with Windows 11. The problem I have is that I am having lag and short freezes when opening apps and switching between them. Curiously, everything works fine as long as I use an external monitor.

Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks in advance.

I have exactly the same problem: This problem is happening on Lenovo Legion 5 Pro 16. Dual boot system with Windows 10 in separate SSD, Could you suggest something to fix this? Thanks.

1 Like

@generix Hi, I’m having the same issue , I had the drivers installed I guess also when I tried nvidia-smi I get this error.

konki@konki:~$ nvidia-smi 
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

I would appreciate a little help. Thanks.
data (2.2 MB)

Here is the bug report.
Could affect the monitor in someway to the nvidia-drivers ?

I am having the same problem.
I can manage to install the Nvidia-driver-510 successfully, and even I can install Cuda package and run GPU commutations with my Cuda
 But after one day, I get a a broken dependency error from Nvidia deriver and even the command nvidia-smi does not work anymore and does not return any correct output.
It seems that somehow the different Ubuntu repos for Nvidia-driver-510 is messed up.

@K0NKI you have secure boot enabled and the nouveau driver is not blacklisted.

Same problem

$ ubuntu-drivers devices
WARNING:root:_pkg_get_support nvidia-driver-510-server: package has invalid Support PBheader, cannot determine support level
== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd000025B8sv000017AAsd000022DEbc03sc00i00
vendor   : NVIDIA Corporation
driver   : nvidia-driver-470-server - distro non-free
driver   : nvidia-driver-470 - distro non-free recommended
driver   : nvidia-driver-510-server - distro non-free
driver   : nvidia-driver-510 - distro non-free
driver   : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (69.3 KB)

I got the same problem just after my laptop auto updated its bios version.
With the same output and nvidia-smi was disabled.
Then I found BIOS’s secure boot is enabled,so just disable it and all problems are solved.

@KHTeh the driver modules din’t compile, please try reinstalling the kernel headers
sudo apt install --reinstall linux-headers-$(uname -r)
then post the output of
dkms status

I have got the exact same problem with the same report as the users in this thread.
This is the output of “dkms status”:
nvidia, 510.47.03, 5.13.0-40-generic, x86_64: installed

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

@mariemkhlifi16 since the module is installed, please check secure boot status, check if you need to run prime-select, check for blacklist files.
or create a nvidia-bug-report.log.

Ok, one question: do you think connecting to a machine via teamviewer has an influence on all of this? The drivers are installed, there is no mention of nvidia in blacklist.conf but it doesn’t seem that the machine can communicate with them.

Teamviewer doesn’t have any influence on this. The driver doesn’t even try to load.
Run
sudo modprobe nvidia
and note the error you get.

sudo modprobe nvidia
>> modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': Operation not permitted

You have previously mentioned that secure boot status has an influence, how does it have to be? In my case it’s enabled.

I was facing the same issue, and the reinstall fix it. Thanks for the help!

I have the next error:
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

When a enter the ubuntu-drivers devices i got the message below,
WARNING:root:_pkg_get_support nvidia-driver-510-server: package has invalid Support PBheader, cannot determine support level
== /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.1/0000:01:00.0 ==
modalias : pci:v000010DEd000025E0sv000017AAsd00003AACbc03sc00i00
driver : nvidia-driver-460 - third-party non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-510-server - distro non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-495 - third-party non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-470 - third-party non-free
driver : nvidia-driver-510 - third-party non-free recommended

I install the drivers by different methods and other drivers but always have the same problems
I have secure boot disabled and the bouveau driver in a blacklisted, but nothing.
also I get the following error with the command nvidia-settings

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

(nvidia-settings:5458): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 01:37:09.733: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

** (nvidia-settings:5458): CRITICAL **: 01:37:09.734: ctk_powermode_new: assertion ‘(ctrl_target != NULL) && (ctrl_target->h != NULL)’ failed

ERROR: nvidia-settings could not find the registry key file or the X server is not accessible. This file should have been installed along with this
driver at /usr/share/nvidia/nvidia-application-profiles-key-documentation. The application profiles will continue to work, but values cannot
be prepopulated or validated, and will not be listed in the help text. Please see the README for possible values and descriptions.

finally when a run modprobe nvidia i get:
modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia not found in directory /lib/modules/5.17.4-051704-generic
Here is the bug report I hope any of you can help me, I really appreciate.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (137.4 KB)

2 Likes