Wayland Support for nvidia-settings?

Now that Nvidia supports accelerated XWayland, are there any plans to add Wayland support to nvidia-settings? Without it, users will be unable to control anything to do with the GPU - no clock speed control, no power limit control, and most importantly, no fan control.

5 Likes

Yes, this is a bit of a problem for us at the moment. My xorg session is broken for my user so I am forced to use Wayland for the moment. I’m curious to know if this will be addressed with Ubuntu 21.10 defaulting to Wayland and being released shortly.

1 Like

Nvidia will release a nvidia-settings compatible with wayland in future driver versions. Only wait.
Some settings can be done editing conf files and using command line.

You are saying issues when using xorg session and with wayland works without issue ?
You is using what Ubuntu version ? 20.04.3 and 21.04 using xorg works using driver current version.

Until those settings are released, do you have any documentation or articles to point to for us to take a look at for Wayland configs?

In moment I not use wayland and not known details about configurations.
Remember that driver 470 was a begin to support wayland.
I has watched some videos comparing performance between xorg and wayland showing a bit more performance for wayland , but see also that wayland is recent and some softwares are begining to add support to wayland.

3 Likes

No they can’t. Not anything hardware related, other than power limit. GPU clock, Memory clock, fan speed, none of that can be controlled with the command line or any config file using Wayland. There ARE no config files for Wayland, .nvidia-settings-rc only works with nvidia-settings which is Xorg-only.

Need Wayland support and especially Reflex support urgently.

2 Likes

The perfomance gain using wayland not is big comparing between xorg mainly about input latency.

Any update on nvidia-settings for wayland? using debian, nvidia driver 525.60.11

29 may 2023. This thread was opened in 22 September 2021. Nothing new at all. I launch “nvidia-settings” in console and get “Segment violation (“core” generated)”.

1 Like

Until Nvidia move away from XNVCTRL it will be impossible to use nvidia-settings in Wayland.

In the meantime, you can just run a twm window that only uses a few MB of RAM in a second TTY with startx and open nvidia-settings or GWE or any other program that requires XNVCTRL, and as long as you leave it open in that TTY it will persist in your Wayland session. It doesn’t affect RAM, CPU usage, or anything else really.

If I try to run “twm” in a Konsole window, it shows:

twm: warning: another window manager is already running. on screen 0?
twm: error: unable to find any unmanaged video screens.

Or do you mean to open in a real console (Ctrl + Atl + F1) as root?

A tty. Not a terminal emulator. You can’t run an Xorg session inside of Wayland (XWayland isn’t a real Xorg session*, otherwise we could run nvidia-settings from an XWayland window). CTRL+ALT+F2

*Yes, I know it’s a nested Xorg session, but it doesn’t load XNVCTRL

So you are talking about “Exit from Wayland session, open another DE …” … well, I knew how to do it. You didn’t mention to EXIT from Wayland session, so your advice is useless to me.

However, thanks to your message, I have checked something that I thought had been solved. If I access from Wayland/Plasma to a real console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), when I try to go back (Ctrl+Alt+F7) I get a black desktop, no images, just the mouse pointer and nothing else, not even responding to the right mouse button. Even switching back to console and returning to the desktop doesn’t solve anything. Only <Ctrl> + <Alt> + <Backspc> x 2allows me to exit to login.

So not being able to access the Nvidia settings becomes secondary, since I need to be able to access the actual console very often.

Thanks anyway for your advice

So you are talking about “Exit from Wayland session, open another DE …” … well, I knew how to do it. You didn’t mention to EXIT from Wayland session, so your advice is useless to me.

What are you talking about? You can have the Wayland session and the other running at the same time. It’s not one or the other. How does that “not solve anything”?

As you explain, it is not necessary to exit the session, but it is necessary to CHANGE to another session (another user, for example “root”). But each session will have its individual configuration after adjusting it with nvidia-settings. When I go back to the main session, it will continue with the settings I had in that session, not those of the session I opened with TWM. In my case, every time I launch certain applications in full screen, the Gamma value of the secondary screen (I have two monitors) changes and I have to launch nvidia-settings to adjust it again. If I do this in another session, the setting will be lost when I return to my main session.

I - like everyone else I guess - am looking for a quick and easy alternative to be able to adjust the settings for each monitor as Nvidia has not yet solved the problem and that’s why I wrote that - in my case - it doesn’t solve the problem of not being able to launch nvidia-settings in the current session.

But I repeat that I still thank you for the idea.

I’m confused. What does gamma have to do with this? What we’re asking for is power and fan control and the like. And those settings 100% DO persist. I’ve confirmed it numerous times. Gamma I can’t speak for, but that doesn’t even matter, because either A) Nvidia Settings in Wayland can’t set Gamma so talking about having to “open it up again in your main session” is irrelevant since you can’t or B) Nvidia Settings CAN set gamma in Wayland in which case you don’t need to bother using a second session at all.

If it’s A, then that somewhat makes sense but again, I’m not sure what that has to do with this post.

This is what I said in the original post on this thread:

Without it, users will be unable to control anything to do with the GPU - no clock speed control, no power limit control, and most importantly, no fan control.

And those settings DO persist in your first session if you set them in a second TWM session. Which is why I recommended it. If that’s not what you’re even asking about, then idk.