X Error of failed request with 435.17 on Ubuntu 18.04

Hi,

So I not so long ago managed to have running system (Ubuntu 18.04) with the latest beta driver 435.17 after some fiddling. Today I investigated why my laptop didn’t want to use the HDMI-display port. Doing this I decided to see if I could get the HDMI port working with the nouveau driver, which worked. However I prefer using the nvidia driver since I want the performance but doing a re-install of that seems to have failed somehow.

Now I get this:

$> __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia glxinfo | grep vendor
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  156 (NV-GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  6 ()
  Value in failed request:  0x0
  Serial number of failed request:  84
  Current serial number in output stream:  84

But this works fine:

$> xrandr --listproviders 
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x1be cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 3 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting
Provider 1: id: 0x198 cap: 0x0 crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 0 name:NVIDIA-G0

I’m attaching my bugreport as well…

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.1 MB)

It’s a typo, use either

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia glxinfo |grep vendor

or

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD_PROVIDER=NVIDIA-G0 __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia glxinfo | grep vendor

Okidoki, will try soon. Thanks!

A question related to this is that I have seen online that people get a PRIME profile called On-Demand instead of just the NVIDIA (Performance Mode) and Intel (Power Saving Mode). I don’t have that listed in my PRIME Profiles. I have executed “prime-select nvidia” to enable nvidia at all on Ubuntu 18.04 but it feels like I’m running the nvidia at full blast since my battery-time is quite low now…

Do I need to update to a later release of the package nvidia-prime or? Also is it possible to totally de-activate the prime-select stuff, thus getting the system back to a clean-slate state prior to choosing any mode (intel or nvidia)?

I don’t really understand your question, you’re mixing up a lot of stuff. There’s no “On-Demand” profile when it comes to prime-select. The render offload feature is on-demand, comparable to bumblebee.

The on-demand was in reference to what I’ve seen here: https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/08/nvidia-43517-linux-beta-driver-adds.html

Is the “PRIME Profile - NVIDIA On-Demand” not supposed to exist or?

PRIME is a technology and render offload is an on-demand profile of it.
prime-select is an application by Canonical for Ubuntu, if you want it to have support for this, create a feature request in their bug-tracker.

I don’t really care about prime-select but just curios how come I don’t see the “NVIDIA On-Demand” profile. Should I have it listed in nvidia-settings?

Canonical/Ubuntu provide a patched version of nvidia-settings which has that switch (but only between Nvidia and Intel) using its prime-select application as back-end. IDK where that article has that screenshot taken from. Stock nvidia-settings doesn’t have that switch.

Okidoki!

Is the preffered method on Ubuntu to not use that “prime-select” stuff at all or?

I want to try to get a as clean setup as possible atm :)

prime-select is the preferred method, it just doesn’t have support for render offload yet.