35.3.1, how to massflash into Orin Nano

@KevinFFF Can you share your command for generating mfi?

It is the same as yours.

sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg" -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit nvme0n1p1

@KevinFFF Are these operations required to specify an operating system?

hi JackyChen,
could you try command like this:
1:mfi
sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p “-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg” -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme nvme0n1p1
2:flash
sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --flash-only --network usb0 --massflash 5 --showlogs

@Jeffli Hi,I have tried using this command to generate mfi images and the same problem occurs.

Hi JackyChen,
please upload mfi log, thanks

Hi JackChen,
1)which module you flash, devkit Orin nano or MP Orin nano
2)does mfi create successfully?

@Jeffli , Today I re-released the SDK package, copied your command to generate the MFi compressed package and flashing command, it works success.
orin-nano_mfi_flash.log (351.9 KB)
It’s very strange because my previous command was the same as yours.

@KevinFFF @Jeffli Hi,
I generate mfi in Orin AGX platform, which flash SDK 35.2.1, to gen mfi log here
orin-nano-mfi_gen_from_arm64.log (262.9 KB)

and then I copied the MFI compressed file to the x86 platform running Ubuntu 22.04, and encountered a USB timeout issue during the flash process.
flash.log (6.6 KB)

Hi Jacky,
generate mfi on Orin AGX? do you try to flash Orin nano module or Orin AGX?

@Jeffli Yes, generate mfi on Orin AGX. But Orin AGX does not support flashing, so I copied it to an x86 host for flashing operations.

Hi JackyChen,
what you done confused me.
if you flash Orin nano, why create mfi on Orin AGX instead of Orin NX carrier board?
please try all the steps on carrier board you want to flash.

let us try again, please test based on your Orin nano carrier board.
commands below have verified on third-party Orin NX carrier board.
just modify board.conf name. and try again.

1)create mfi
sudo ./tools/backup_restore/l4t_backup_restore.sh -b -c p3509-a02+p3767-0000
sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --use-backup-image --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p “-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg” -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 p3509-a02+p3767-0000 nvme0n1p1
2) flash
sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --flash-only --network usb0 --massflash 5 --showlogs

if failed ,upload mfi log and flash log, of course ,rcm should correct first.

@Jeffli Hi,

1. Because I use orin agx as my server.
  2. the log of command
#create mfi
sudo ./tools/backup_restore/l4t_backup_restore.sh -b -c jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme

sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --use-backup-image --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg" -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme nvme0n1p1

jeff_ops_on_agx.log (207.0 KB)

1. the log of command
sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --flash-only --network usb0 --massflash 1 --showlogs

jeff_ops_flash_on_x86_host.log (7.0 KB)
and the Orin Nano devkit serial output log
Orin-Nano-flash-usb-timeout-serial-output.log (4.2 KB)

@Jeffli Hi,

That’s how I did it before

1. ssh login to Orin agx Server(Orin agx software version is 35.2.1)
  2. release SDK 35.3.1 and prepare the environment on Orin agx Server
tar xpf Jetson_Linux_R35.3.1_aarch64.tbz2
sudo tar xpf Tegra_Linux_Sample-Root-Filesystem_R35.3.1_aarch64.tbz2 # run in path Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/

sudo ./tools/l4t_flash_prerequisites.sh
sudo ./apply_binaries.sh
  1. Generate mfi package
sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg" -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme nvme0n1p1
  1. cp the mfi package to x86 host(ubuntu22.04)
scp mfi_jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme.tar.gz  $x86_host_IP
  1. ssh login to x86 host and release mfi package
tar zxvf mfi_jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme.tar.gz
  1. flash
sudo ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --flash-only --network usb0 --massflash 1 --showlogs

PS:
The reason we used orin agx as the server was that we could preinstall nvidia-jetpack into the Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs file system via chroot

Hi JackyChen,
have you ever tried that use x86 host 20.04 to create mfi directly, then flash?
if NOT, could you try it?

@Jeffli Today I tried using the x86 host ubuntu20.04 and encountered the same error, with the same error log.

Hi JackyChen,
you mean mfi ok, flash failed with usb timeout?

@Jeffli Yes
Finially, we use command for generating mfi and there were no errors during the flashing process.

sudo BOARDID=3767 BOARDSKU=0003 ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg" -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 p3768-0000+p3767-0000 nvme0n1p1

or

sudo BOARDID=3767 BOARDSKU=0003 ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p "-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg" -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 jetson-orin-nano-devkit-nvme nvme0n1p1

Hi JackyChen,
good news. summary here to help more uses who try to mass flash Orin nano with 35.3.1
1)mfi
sudo ./tools/backup_restore/l4t_backup_restore.sh -b -c p3768-0000+p3767-0000

sudo BOARDID=3767 BOARDSKU=0003 ./tools/kernel_flash/l4t_initrd_flash.sh --no-flash --external-device nvme0n1p1 -p “-c bootloader/t186ref/cfg/flash_t234_qspi.xml --no-systemimg” -c ./tools/kernel_flash/flash_l4t_external.xml --massflash 5 --showlogs --network usb0 p3768-0000+p3767-0000 nvme0n1p1

2)flash

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.