530 driver has strange flicker issue

On updating to the 530 drivers I noted every once in a while my screens on my primary GPU (GTX 1660) will flash/flicker up top in like the topmost 1/3rd of the screen. There doesn’t seem to be any application or workload that triggers it, just happens randomly.

My Secondary GPU (GTX 1060) isn’t affected.

Rolling back to 525 the issue is no longer present. It has been a long time since I even logged in here and forgot the check the driver issue reporting post. As such I do not have the logs or outputs requested. If I notice a point release and try it I will try to nab logs and output then if it persists.

Kernel: 6.2.8-arch1-1
X.Org version: 21.1.7

1 Like

I had been using 530.41.03 (security fix) all morning and had no flicker. This made me think the memory issues that led to the security problems was also the cause of the flicker and the update fixed both. However I just noticed it happen. So while it’s much less frequent with the update it’s still there.

Attached Log is without the “startx – -logverbose 6.” X is set to run with -logverbose 6 when I restart my session.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (4.7 MB)

1 Like

I dont saw you report the same issue that i also experience since today with 530.41.03.

I created this Topic already:

I also saw a few more people on Manjaro has the same issue.

Well good I’m not alone. I had searched for others having posted before me but my search terms didn’t find anything. Hopefully it will get fixed soon. While the .41 update is less obnoxious than the .40 was it’s still annoying.

So the issue is affecting GTX and RTX cards, high/low refresh panels, KDE and I don’t run a DE (CTWM). I also had a kernel update so it wasn’t the original kernel and looks to be affecting you on an LTS kernel as well. I wonder if it’s an issue with compositors. Perhaps I’ll quash mine for a bit.

***Purely anecdotal ATM but since I killed my compositor I’ve not seen the flickering. If this continues then it would suggest the bug is tripping up my compositor (picom). Either way hopefully it’s fixed since rolling back to 25 everything is good but now 25 is a security liability.

@dbrhks solved it, atleast i dont saw a single flash since the change :)

Got things back in full swing with the modeset line. See how things go today.

So far so good (9 Hours Later) however there are some cranky messages in syslog.

Apr 02 18:17:50 kernel: [drm:drm_new_set_master] ERROR [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00002500] Failed to grab modeset ownership
Apr 02 18:17:50 kernel: [drm:drm_new_set_master] ERROR [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00002600] Failed to grab modeset ownership

I suppose I’ll call nvidia_drm.modeset=1 “the fix” for now and hope the day wasn’t just a fluke.

I had the exact problem as described with my GTX 1660. downgrading to 525 and adding the kernel parameter helped, thanks for the post. it was driving me insane, hopefully this issue gets patched

I kinda wonder if it will just fly under the radar. It’s affected a few of us but doesn’t seem like enough people are affected to really get any attention.

I’d still like to know what the issue is at least. It only affected my 1660 so I that alone makes me curious.

Happens on my 2070 SUPER as well

Have you tried booting with the kernel param nvidia_drm.modeset=1?

Technically I still get the issue if I say alt tab out of a game and then click on said game again. However without the boot param it just does that flicker randomly all the time.

Yes, I’ve been using it for about 30 min now and so far so good

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.