Black flickering on 530.41.03, Fedora 37

I am facing a strange problem every 2 minutes or so. Half of the screen goes black and comes back very fast. I have an 144Hz monitor and an Nvidia GTX 1650 Super. The problem appeared when I upgraded the Nvidia driver from 525 (to the current one). I attach the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (217.7 KB)

1 Like

I am having the same issue on my Asus G14 laptop running a GTX 1650 Ti connected to an external monitor supporting 3440x1440 @ 100Hz via usb-c to DP. The issue seems to occur only when going above 60Hz. I can’t replicate the issue on my windows installation using exactly the same configuration (dual boot) so it’s not a hardware issue.

My OS is Linux Mint 21.1 MATE. It seems to occur randomly every few minutes. I have tried different settings at Nvidia control panel without any improvement. My current drivers are 530.41.03-0ubuntu0.22.04.2.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (408.1 KB)

1 Like

Hey there, this issue sounds like it could be related to an issue with Mutter and the proprietary Nvidia driver regarding window redirection.

In some scenarios it helps to install the gnome extension " Disable unredirect fullscreen windows"
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1873/disable-unredirect-fullscreen-windows/

Afaik MATE is a Gnome 3 based Desktop Environment, that’s why I assume this issue also applies here?
Also assuming the first reporter runs a Fedora Gnome spin ofc.

1 Like

Unfortunately MATE is based on gnome 2 and thus not compatible with Gnome 3. From what I read Mate had forked part of the code but it would be a challenge to install this gnome extension. Thank you for the suggestion though!

1 Like

I have the same problem.

DELL 60 Hz monitor.

NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super.

525 drivers are OK, 530 and newest 535 are broken.

Arch Linux, GNOME on Xorg.

NVIDIA DRM is enabled.

1 Like

I have reported the same issue here:

Try to set the power states mode (PowerMizer) to “prefer maximum performance” (you can find two ways of doing it in my post).

In my case it fixes the issue but this needs a proper fix from NVIDIA: even the current production branch has this issue and it not acceptable at all in my opinion.

1 Like