Add distinct objects in source env and cloned environments

Hello,

I use the GridCloner to clone an environment and I would like to add distinct objects to each of those environments in order to do grasping tasks on objects with different shapes (as mentioned in this issue).

To give a more concrete example of what I try to do, let’s suppose I have an environment composed of an ur5e robot that I clone. In each cloned environments, I’d like to add a distinct object. I would thus like to have a situation as follows:

However, I get is the following image in which the red cube from env_0 is also copied in env_1 and env_2.

This is due to the fact any object added to the first environment is copied in all the cloned environments. Here is the code I used for this test:

# Copyright (c) 2021, NVIDIA CORPORATION.  All rights reserved.
#
# NVIDIA CORPORATION and its licensors retain all intellectual property
# and proprietary rights in and to this software, related documentation
# and any modifications thereto.  Any use, reproduction, disclosure or
# distribution of this software and related documentation without an express
# license agreement from NVIDIA CORPORATION is strictly prohibited.
#
from omni.isaac.kit import SimulationApp

simulation_app = SimulationApp({"headless": False})

from omni.isaac.core import World
from omni.isaac.core.articulations import ArticulationView
from omni.isaac.core.utils.stage import add_reference_to_stage, get_stage_units
from omni.isaac.core.utils.nucleus import get_assets_root_path
from omni.isaac.cloner import GridCloner
from omni.isaac.core.objects.cuboid import DynamicCuboid
from omni.isaac.core.objects import DynamicCylinder, DynamicSphere

import numpy as np
import carb
import sys

assets_root_path = get_assets_root_path()
if assets_root_path is None:
    carb.log_error("Could not find Isaac Sim assets folder")
    simulation_app.close()
    sys.exit()

my_world = World(stage_units_in_meters=1.0)
my_world.scene.add_default_ground_plane()

# create initial robot
base_env_path = "/World/ur5es"
env_robot_paths = f"{base_env_path}/ur5e"
source_env_path = f"{env_robot_paths}_0"
asset_path = assets_root_path + "/Isaac/Robots/UniversalRobots/ur5e/ur5e.usd"
add_reference_to_stage(usd_path=asset_path, prim_path=source_env_path)

# create GridCloner instance
cloner = GridCloner(spacing=2)

# generate paths for clones
target_paths = cloner.generate_paths(env_robot_paths, 3)
# clone
position_offsets = np.array([[0, 0, 1]] * 3)
positions = cloner.clone(
    source_prim_path=source_env_path,
    prim_paths=target_paths,
    position_offsets=position_offsets,
    replicate_physics=False,
    base_env_path=base_env_path,
)

# create ArticulationView
ur5es = ArticulationView(prim_paths_expr=f"{env_robot_paths}_*", name="ur5e_view")
my_world.scene.add(ur5es)

# Add an object in the first env
name = "cube"
prim_path = f"{source_env_path}/{name}"
prim = my_world.scene.add(
                DynamicCuboid(
                    prim_path=prim_path, # The prim path of the cube in the USD stage
                    name=name, # The unique name used to retrieve the object from the scene later on
                    position=positions[0], # Using the current stage units which is in meters by default.
                    scale=np.array([0.2, 0.2, 0.2]), # most arguments accept mainly numpy arrays.
                    color=np.array([1., 0, 0.0]), # RGB channels, going from 0-1
                ))

# Add a second object in the second env
name = "cylinder"
prim_path = f"{env_robot_paths}_1/{name}"
                DynamicCylinder(
                    name=name, # The unique name used to retrieve the object from the scene later on
                    position=positions[1], # Using the current stage units which is in meters by default.
                    color=np.array([0, 1.0, 0.0]), # RGB channels, going from 0-1
                ))

# Add an other object in the third env 
name = "sphere"
prim_path = f"{env_robot_paths}_2/{name}"
                DynamicCuboid(
                    position=positions[2], # Using the current stage units which is in meters by default.
                    color=np.array([0, 0, 1.0]), # RGB channels, going from 0-1
                ))

my_world.reset()
while True:
    my_world.step()
simulation_app.close()

In the response from my first issue, it seems that the solution provided in the code example copies the same objects to different environments so it does not provide a solution to my problem. I would thus like to know if it is possible to add distinct objects to the cloned environments or if it the GridCloner is actually not made for that.

2 Likes

Hi there, thanks for reporting the issue! I am able to reproduce the behaviour. We will look at introducing an option to the Cloner class that fixes this issue in the next release. For now, you can either ignore the first environment, or in subsequent environments, first delete the prim added to the first environment, then add the additional objects.

1 Like

Hi, @kellyg
Has this issue been addressed in IsaacSim 2022.2.1?
I also want to add different objects to each Cloned Environment, but currently, when I add an object to env_0 , it gets added to other environments as well.
If this has been improved, could you please share the details?

Hello, no, it has not been improved from what I know.

1 Like

Hello, @alempereur!
Thank you for sharing the information!
I see, so the next version is expected to be released next month, so it seems like we’ll have to wait for the update…

Hello, we will include a new flag for the Cloner in the coming release that will resolve this issue.

1 Like

Hi, @kellyg
Sorry for asking again and again…
Is this resolved in IsaacSim2023.1.0?
If this has been resolved, documentation and usage would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @makoto.sato385 - Did you try the latest Isaac Sim 2023.1.1 release?, please let us know if you still see any issues.

Here’s the cloner documentation: 9.6. Getting Started with Cloner — Omniverse IsaacSim latest documentation