Automotive platform

Hi,

I am currently a consultant Systems Engineer for an automotive OEM, working with Linux.

I would like to develop an IVI system, initially as a Research project for my own company, but with the possibility of developing to a stage where I can sell the solution to potential niche clients.

I would like to develop the system in Linux, preferably Android.

Which product of yours would you recommend to start?

Many thanks,

Jason

Depends on use case, especially anything GPU related and I/O requirements. Consider posting example video and multimedia requirements (or direct CUDA requirements). Also, give an idea of camera and display requirements.

Thanks for the reply.

Minimum requirements are for a double-DIN, touchscreen (e.g. https://lilliputdirect.com/lilliput-open-frame-industrial-monitors/automotive-monitors/Bybyte-669-C-T-double-din-touchscreen-monitor), inputs for:
camera (either dash-cam, reversing cam or both)
microphone
bluetooth
network (wifi and ethernet)
GPS (over USB if necessary)
AMFM/DAB (over USB if necessary)
media (SD/USB)

Ideally, rendering of a 4K video should be smooth while a route is being navigated, but I can live with some performance issues if a nav route is being calculated as this is a transient peak load. Obviously I would prefer no disruption to the video at all, and I realise this could be managed with priorities.

Cost is not a big issue for the development platform - I would rather have all bells and whistles to start with and cut back on what I don’t really need as I get closer to the intended solution.

Thanks again.

“This is of course my own option opinion”.

For reference, if I say “Jetson” I imply the relevant Tegra chip on a developer board or a developer carrier board. A TX1 implies Tegra X1 chip on its module (the chip is not generally available by itself, the module is the normal way of using this chip), a JTX1 implies the module on the Jetson developer carrier board (the module requires a carrier board). A TK1 implies a Tegra K1 chip, a JTK1 implies the TK1 chip on the developer carrier board.

Note that there are third party vendors which provide various carrier boards or modules, especially for the TX1. Toradex has a nice DIMM format module for the TK1, it’s fairly easy to use. You have a lot of third party vendor options for either, so a “custom” requirement does not necessarily mean it can’t be off the shelf.

The double-DIN touchscreen shows its max resolution is 1920x1080. Assuming you do not have an ultra-HD monitor somewhere, the most you need is 1080p@60Hz. The Tegra K1 handles this. The TX1 is overkill.

The JTX1 module has bluetooth and wireless built in, the TK1 would require you to build your own board around the chip, or else to use the pre-made Jetson TK1 with add-on facilities (such as via USB or via the half-length mini-PCIe slot). Because the TX1 module has WiFi and bluetooth in it, this is already certified in many countries. Add-on cards are generally not certified separately in the USA, but computer containing the add-on card may need to be certified if you add your own wireless. A TX1 would simplify international certifications if needed; using pre-existing bluetooth and wireless add-on devices on a TK1 would likely work without issue, but may need extra certification steps.

The TX1 module (separate from carrier board) is intended to be used in a commercial environment, although I don’t know what temperature/humidity type restrictions there are. You’d still need to make a carrier board, so regardless of using TK1 or TX1 you’d be building a custom board of some sort. The Jetson TK1 is originally a developer board which was not intended to go out in harsh environments, but it has turned out to be rather capable and may be used in some final products. However, I doubt a JTK1 would be certified for harsh environments. Something like the Toradex TK1 module would make this a non-issue if you go the TK1 route.

The JTK1 has mic input and line out for stereo audio. The TX1 and developer JTX1 carrier board have audio and multimedia capability, but no actual wiring for dedicated audio on the Jetson carrier board…you’d either have to use USB audio, or make a carrier board with those audio output options (this isn’t really a limitation and is no different than the TK1 if you are going to build your own board anyway).

All of the other “goodies” (e.g., GPS) are the same for both a TK1 and a TX1…they both easily do this.

If you go with only that one display, then I’d probably go with the TK1. If you are expecting to expand into multiple displays, e.g., entertainment centers in the back seats, or perhaps complicated audio mixing, I might be more tempted to use the TX1.

I suspect both the TK1 and TX1 can handle the touchscreen while calculating routes if CUDA is used. At some point, if CUDA type work goes up, the TX1 will outperform the TK1. For the GPU in general, the same is true…the TK1 is quite capable, but as requirements go up, the TX1 will outperform a TK1.

If you need H.264 the TK1 has this built in. If you need H.265, you have to go to the TX1.

How much GPU power you really need and where you want to market would break or make the choice. Based on original requirements (but assuming 1920x1080p60Hz) the TK1 on a third party module or custom board would likely be the simplest route.

EDIT: One I forgot to mention is the Jetson TK1 Pro. This one is meant for harsher environments.