NVIDIA Tegra System On Modules?

Looking for an NVIDIA Tegra System On Modules which comes with latest Tegra version, minimum 2GB RAM, Quad Core and should support both Windows and Linux Operation Systems. Any suggestions??

Thanks in Advance!

I don’t remember seeing anybody yet selling TK1 based system on modules. The HW partner list is here:

https://developer.nvidia.com/tegra-hardware-sales-inquiries

It seems that Avionic Design is working on TK1 though:

http://www.avionic-design.de/uploads/embedded/tegra_k1_processor_module_EN.pdf

and they are usually more expensive than jetson tk1 :)

Toradex offers quad core ARM9 (ARMv7 like Jetson, but Jetson is ARM15) with 2 GB RAM through a Tegra 3 on a standard DIMM type board…it’s their Apalis T30. You may have a wait for anyone publishing TK1 modules, it’s just newer.

Just a small correction, Tegra 3 is Cortex-A9, not ARM9. Same for Jetson, it’s Cortex-A15, not ARM15. ARM9 is something much older :)

@linuxdev - Just been to Toradex website and found some system on modules (Embedded Computing | Our Products - Toradex) which were quite relevant to my requirement.

@Kulve - When we can expect TK1 based System on Modules availability in market??

I have absolutely no idea.

Yeah, the whole modern ARM CPUs are the Cortex-A series (for what I work with…no R-seriens or M-series for me), but I got into the bad habit of differentiating architecture (ARMv7) from CPU by removing the “v” of “ARMv7” and putting the “9” or whichever at the end. I tend to forget it isn’t how the rest of the world abbreviates.

For rmamba’s question on cost, most modules are significantly more expensive. The Toradex modules are an exception for module price (the Apalis T30 is relatively inexpensive), but you still need a carrier board which adds a lot to price. If you are working towards a commercial product though custom carrier boards combined with standardized modules are far easier to deal with versus monolithic new designs…with the core of what you need being on that module carrier board design can be simplified. Jetson uses a 6-layer PC board; because of how the Apalis T30 module is designed the carrier boards can be simplified to only 4 layers…had it been a single large board like Jetson T30 boards would have probably required 6 layers.

was not a question, it’s a fact ;)

I doubt TK1 SoM would cost less than 100$. And like you said you need a mother board for your application.
So in the end effect if you’re going to have a large production it’s better to just go with a dev board and when you work out the bugs redesign the whole thing to your custom needs. That way you would save some $ too. In the long run would be cheaper than SoM + custom mother board. that’s my opinion. Maybe someone can give more concrete insight if they developed something along this lines before.

Every manufacturer of a System on a Module has at least one developer carrier board for the module…but the module alone is often far beyond the cost of a full Jetson board (I mention Apalis T30 is in the price range of Jetson for just the module…but this is also Tegra 3 technology…I’d expect Tegra K1 with its higher pin count and newer technology to go up significantly on price). Developer carrier boards are usually far beyond the cost of Jetson (and still needs the module itself).

We have re-design TK1 SOM. (http://www.embpower-sparkle.com/products_detail.asp?id=79) You are welcome to go our website to check. Our email is dennis_li@sparkle.com.tw

The web site doesn’t show much about the module, it’d be nice to hear more about it.

contact me, dustin.franklin@ge.com
GE, official NVIDIA partner

That looks very useful!

Instead of contacting directly, I’ll ask here so that others will also know the answer.

What’s the pricing? Is it already available? Is there a carrier board for it?

Thanks!

PS. I would have read the datasheets etc. but I don’t like to register to random places just to get a datasheet…

I can understand. Here’s a direct link to the datasheet: https://filetransfer.ge-ip.com/fs/v.aspx?v=8f6c658b5b9ea5baa99e

Regarding the pricing, I’m not permitted to openly disclose it online. Any TK1 product is going to be more than the Jetson (reverse engineered or no)…

What kind of connector or form factor does this use? I’m curious about daughter-boards and how much of the GPIO and audio is available.

Thanks!

The linked brochure lists at least some of the pins. Some GPIOs and stereo in + out (and a bunch of other pins, like USB, HDMI, etc).

Sorry, I originally looked only at one of the brochures. I now see one with an image, but the image is only the top of the board. What I actually see is a single connector on top which looks like it is designed for a flat flex cable, perhaps related to LVDS type display connections. What I’m interested in is probably on the bottom of the board…by what method is the GPIO acessible? Does this have a connector for GPIO on the bottom, as well as for other connections, or is this based on something like wave soldering to a carrier board?

The form-factor is COM Express mini, with 220-pin COM Express connector. The electrical pin-out of the connector is referred to as type 10, from the COMe spec. An easier way to look at it may be to consider the I/O of the carrier board—for example, [url]http://www.connecttech.com/sub/Products/COM-Express-Type-10-Mini-Carrier.asp[/url]. Of course, you could also design or commission your own carrier if desired.

As kulve mentioned, the audio includes HD stereo in + HD stereo out, and there are 8 GPIO pins.

Whereas the COM Express connector is on the bottom of the module, on top we also have an additional connector available—15-pin MIPI CSI port, as on the rPI and 1080p CSI camera: [url]https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi-camera-board[/url]

You can see it to the upper right of the TK1 chip, above the 2 memory chips. And if you have cameras in a format other than CSI, there are mini-PCIe framegrabbers available for capturing SDI/HD-SDI, CameraLink, RS-170/NTSC/PAL, ect. Like the Jetson, off-the-shelf COM Express carriers typically include one or more mini-PCIe mezzanines. And of course, gigabit ethernet for gigevision or IP cameras.

The mini module runs the same L4T packages from NVIDIA as the Jetson.