Can I use lidar in jetson nano?

I am trying to develop using jetson nano and lidar. I wonder if jetson nano is equipped with lidar.

The first is power. The power received from the nano is limited, so I am afraid that the installation of the lidar will cause power supply problems. There is an additional power supply in the lidar, but I am not sure if it is.

The second problem is the performance of nano.
I am wondering if nano can handle the data of the point cloud received from lidar.

We need help from many nano users.
Thank you for reading my article.

1 Like

Please refer to this article: [url]https://www.jetsonhacks.com/2015/12/08/gpioi2c-on-jetson-tx1-lidar-lite-v2-installation/[/url]

Your refer article is about jetson tx1 not jetson nano and Lidar is not working in jetson nano. (Error, cannot bind to the specified serial port /dev/ttyUSB0)

Please list the command that you were attempting to execute when you encountered the error. Do you have any other USB devices attached? Did you try using sudo with the command?

Do you have any other USB devices attached? - Just my mouse and keyboard.

Did you try using sudo with the command? - Yes i did and still same error.

How are you powering the Jetson and the lidar?

Im powering nano with my micro USB cable, and Im powering my Lidar with the adapter which they sent with the package.

You probably do not have enough power to run both the Jetson and the lidar. 2A is just enough to run the Jetson by itself. Typically people use a 5V 4A power supply for the Jetson to supply enough power for the Jetson and lidar. If that is not enough, you may need to use a powered USB hub for the lidar.

Okay i will try with 5V 4A power supply and write the result. Thanks for help !

Did this work for you? I’m having the same issue.

I haven’t tried yet because lidar doesn’t work.

This has been driving me nuts for 4 days as well. I even tried replacing the RPLidar A2M7. Same thing. I’ve tried everything. Not that there is very much out there for this error.

cd ~/Developer/rplidar_sdk/sdk/output/Linux/Release
./ultra_simple /dev/ttyUSB0

Error, cannot bind to the specified serial port /dev/ttyUSB0

lsusb

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0bda:0411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2b Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 10c4:ea60 Cygnal Integrated Products, Inc. CP210x UART Bridge / myAVR mySmartUSB light
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:5411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

ls -l /dev | grep ttyUSB

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jan 23 20:19 gps0 → ttyUSB0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Jan 24 19:46 ttyUSB0

sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0

Still the same error when trying to run the RPLidar A2M7 examples
./ultrasimple
./simplegrabber

Here’s another article about using rpLIDAR with the Nano, if that helps:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Getting-Started-With-the-Low-cost-RPLIDAR-Using-Je/

Alternatively, this post recommends adding your user to dialout group. Although I guess you already chmod the /dev node - regardless, what happens when you run the examples with sudo privileges?

Do you get dmesg output from the kernel log when you plug the device in?

Hi dusty_nv ,

i tried as the instructables suggested . update and upgrade my jetson nano . but i am not able to see the ttyUSB0 listed when i connect Rplidar a1 using cp210x

the usb-devices cmd shows (none) next to the cp210x driver . i also followed jetsonhacks post for tx1 but, it didnt help as the kernel mismatch . pls help me on how to install the driver for cp210x .

kernel = 4.9.140-tegra

Hi dusty_nv ,

i tried as the instructables suggested . update and upgrade my jetson nano . but i am not able to see the ttyUSB0 listed when i connect Rplidar a1 using cp210x

the usb-devices cmd shows (none) next to the cp210x driver . i also followed jetsonhacks post for tx1 but, it didnt help as the kernel mismatch . pls help me on how to install the driver for cp210x .

kernel = 4.9.140-tegra

[/quote]

[/quote]

hi . can you explain how to load the cp210x driver .

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep CP210

the above yielded me

CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_CP210X=m

but, i am not able to find the ttyUSB0 or any driver for the cp210x under usb-devices cmd . pls help on installing cp210x driver

[/quote]

hi,

after some research i found the way to install cp210x driver . thanks for your help . here are the steps to install for references

download the cp210x driver source for linux from here
https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers

extract and cd into the folder

run make cmd
$make

copy the cp210x.ko file into the kernel driver

$sudo cp cp210x.ko /lib/modules/“$(uname -r)”/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/

reboot just to solidify all

Thanks

sudo ./ultrasimple

Ultra simple LIDAR data grabber for RPLIDAR.
Version: 1.12.0
Error, cannot bind to the specified serial port /dev/ttyUSB0.

dmesg

6.782075] cp210x: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.

Hi architekone

i guess the issue here is either the ttyUSB0 port is not available (driver issue) or the correct permission is not setup .

to setup permission use this cmd

for cp210x driver installation refer to https://github.com/yuvaramsingh94/install-cp210x-on-jetson-nano-for-rplidar

dmesg --follow

[ 7618.204888] usb 1-2.2: Product: CP2102 USB to UART Bridge Controller
[ 7618.204931] usb 1-2.2: Manufacturer: Silicon Labs
[ 7618.204973] usb 1-2.2: SerialNumber: 0001
[ 7618.212048] cp210x 1-2.2:1.0: cp210x converter detected
[ 7618.216227] usb 1-2.2: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Separate window

./ultrasimple

./ultrasimple

Same for sudo ./ultrasimple

I have used this script as well to no avail. https://github.com/yuvaramsingh94/install-cp210x-on-jetson-nano-for-rplidar/blob/master/installCP210x.sh

./installCP210x.sh

modinfo: ERROR: Module cp210x.ko not found.
The Kernel version does not match the Module Version
Kernel Version: 4.9.140-tegra
Module Version:
Would you still like to install the module? [Y/n] y
You may have to force the module to be inserted, i.e.
$ sudo modprobe -f cp210x
[sudo] password for dz:
cp: cannot stat ‘cp210x.ko’: No such file or directory
Installed cp210x Module

from dmesg results it looks like your lidar is connected onto ttyUSB0 correctly . i am not sure on why ultrasimple is not working . in my case i connected it with ROS and was able to visualize the laser scan topic.

i am having the same issue. it does work in windows but on jetson nano i get Error, cannot bind to the specified serial port ttyUSB0.

Has this issue been resolved to those that have this issue? i cannot find a solution. i tried everything i cam across including dial-out permission.

thanks!