Can't install NSight VSE 2022

error
This is the error I get when I try to install NVSE 2022. It looks like it fails during the ‘copying new files step’ but there is no more verbosity.

VS 2022 community installed. Fresh 11.6 toolkit installed.

How can I get the actual installation error and fix it?

I tried uninstalling all visual studio components and reinstalling, still getting a failure. I tried using msiexec to log the installation and it produced a log file (attached) but while the installation said it worked, NVSE was not actually installed.
msilog.log (2.0 MB)

Has nobody else had this problem with NVSE 2022? At a standstill.

MSIe81c3.LOG (3.8 MB)
Better log - this time on line 8371 you can see ‘CAQuietExec: Error 0x80070005: Command failed to execute.’
This leads to a 1603 error from a bat file which starts rollback actions.

I have the same issue - have you had any luck?

Sadly no, I ended up reinstalling my entire windows OS with a drive wipe and it worked on a fresh install. Never got it to work on my existing OS.

Aww, dang. Thanks for the info!

Same issue with NVSE 2022.4 (and previous 2021.x also failed). Can’t get solved after a fresh installed VS2019.

I met the error code as the same as aven in the log. It was at the time that integrating into VS2019, but somehow the registration was failed. Im wondering is there any alternatives to get the CUDA debugger work within VS2019.

Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen3
GPU: GTX1650Ti MaxQ

Thanks for the feedback and logs (and sorry this has gone unanswered for so long).
We will look into this and report back ASAP.

Just to make sure we’re looking at the same error as other users had, can you please

(1)
run this command:
start /wait msiexec /i “<msi_file_name>.msi” /l*v “.log”
and attach the log file here?

(2)
cd to %temp% after the installation is done, and there should be files there in which can also be attached:

1. devenv..install.xml
  2. nsight..install.bat.txt

(3)
rename %temp%\nsight..install.bat.txt to nsight..install.bat
and
execute from the command prompt (should produce the same errors that the .xml mentioned in (2)).
If somehow this file is not present, try running this command (which should succeed without Nsight being there):
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio<VSVersion><SKU>\Common7\IDE\devenv.com” /setup /nosetupvstemplates /log “.xml”

All logs and intermediate files are zipped.
nvse-cant-install-issue-logs.7z (157.9 KB)

Hi,

Glad to hear it may get some progress about this issue.

On my end, VS2017Pro and VS2019Pro are installed. The step (1) created nvse-inst.log and two bat files. I couldn’t find xml files in (2), and even after running (3). So I opened cmd prompt with admin to run both .bat files then got two xml logs.

I was just able to successfully install the 12.0 toolkit and the NVSE that came with it on a system that I had just uninstalled the 11.6 and 11.3 toolkits from, so I cannot provide any more info. Hopefully the log from earlier helps.

It looks like a long journey to reach the success of NSight VSE installation on my end (vs2019 in the case).

1. Get NVSE installer, I tried 2023.2.
  2. Set the policy ‘DisableTollback’ according to this page.
  3. Install NVSE, and it may show that the installation is not successful.
  4. Run “%temp%\nsight.vs2019.install.bat” as administrator.
  5. Open VS2019 to see if NSight extension is active.

The drawback of this workaround is that OS doesn’t consider NVSE is installed. So you can’t uninstall it from Settings->Apps menu. But it works well for me, at least.