Can't set resolution higher than 1600x900

Hi,

I have a computer that is dual boot Windows and Ubuntu 18.10. On Windows I can set the resolution to 1920x1080 fine, but on Ubuntu the maximum seems to be 1600x900.

A screenshot of my Nvidia X Server Settings: https://i.imgur.com/QNpLg65.png. And just to show which driver I’m using:

Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GM200 [GeForce GTX 980 Ti] driver: nvidia v: 418.39
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.1 driver: nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1600x900~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 980 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 418.39

What can I do?
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (763 KB)

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting .gz file to your post. Hovering the mouse over an existing post of yours will reveal a paperclip icon.
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1043347/announcements/attaching-files-to-forum-topics-posts/

I’ve just attached it. Btw, if it helps, I didn’t have this problem with my previous monitor (I’m currently using my girlfriend’s one). Cheers!

The monitor is connected to the dvi port but is only using the analog vga signal and doesn’t provide an edid, so low-res fallback is used. Is that a vga monitor connected over a dvi2vga cable? In any case, this looks like a broken/incorrectly plugged cable or broken monitor.
You could work around it by creating an xorg.conf and setting HorizSync/VertRefresh to the real values of the monitor:
https://www.blackmoreops.com/2014/08/29/fix-linux-display-issue-find-horizsync-vertrefresh-rates/
Though I’d rather check cables.

It’s a VGA cable with a DVI adapter to plug it in to my graphics card iirc. I bought it recently because my puppy bit through my girlfriend’s old one and as I said, setting a 1920x1080 resolution works on Windows, so I think the cable and monitor are fine.

I’ll try working around it by creating an xorg.conf like you said tomorrow morning. Will let you know how it went – thanks for the help!

I followed the steps outlined on the website you linked, but when I get to the step where I have to find the monitor’s supported HorizSync VertRefresh rates by running ddcprobe it stops at

edid: 
edidfail

and doesn’t show monitorrange. I’m pretty lost about what to do next. Any ideas?

Like said, the problem is that the monitor doesn’t provide an edid/ddc due to broken cable/monitor, so you can’t read it using ddcprobe either. You’ll have to look them up from the datasheet of the monitor.
Some sane values for a FHD monitor might be

HorizSync       31.0 - 70.0
VertRefresh     60

I added that and ran sudo service lightdm restart and it gave me the 1920x1080 option in Nvidia X Server Settings – thanks a lot! Only problem I have now is that the screen is slightly shifted to the left (like ~10px) so there is a thin black bar on the right. Not sure why that’s happening.

I don’t know about the type of monitor you’re using but the HPhase (horizontal shift) on analog connections should be settable on the monitor, often using the “auto” button. Of course this can also be fiddled with by using custom modelines but his should only be necessary on 20 years old crts.

Ok cheers, I figured it out and managed to shift it over manually. Seems like it’s all sorted now, thanks so much!