Compiler Options

I compiled a program wih many subprograms and many of the for loops did not optimize becuase of function calls. The ccff suggested inlining.

I then used the command line option -Minline and most functions did inline, some did not. The loops that were not optimized gave the same reason: a function call and even suggested that I try function inlining. What exactly would cause most functions to inline, but still some are left out.

Also, I compiled the same program and used -Minfo=ccff. I got the usual helpful compiler feedback/hints. But on one line when I put the cursor on the line with the i inside the circle. I got – nothing. There was just blank space.

I am unsure as to why I would get that. It was centered on a for loop so I believe there was important feedback there. I just got only whitespace or nothing.

I compiled and tried again and got the same result. What is going on?

THX 1138

Hi THX 1138,

If you’re code has multiple source files, try using IPA inlining instead (-Mipa=inline). IPA works across multiple sources by recompiling the source at link time, but with a whole program view.

I compiled and tried again and got the same result. What is going on?

I’m not sure. It’s possible that the code was optimized away or it’s a glitch in the profiler and there isn’t any message for that line. Do you see a command line informational message (-Minfo) for the same loop?

• Mat