Computer freezes sometimes when display turns off

Hi,

My laptop freezes when (I believe) it attempts to turn off the display after a period of inactivity. This is does happen every time and is therefore quite difficult to repeat - affecting me maybe once or twice a day depending on how often I leave my laptop running without being used.

I am using GeForce GTX 1650 with Intel(R) Core™ i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz running Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia with kernel 5.4.0-48-generic.

I am using the ubuntu-packaged drivers, currently 455.23.04-0ubuntu0~0.18.04.1.

My issue never occurred with 435.21-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 and earlier so I believe this is a bug introduced since then. Rolling back to that earlier driver was stable for weeks before upgrading again and having issues again.

That earlier driver does not have prime synchronisation enabled so it makes games like geometry dash difficult to play - and is just annoying in others like Witcher 3.

I have uploaded a bug report generated with nvidia-bug-report.sh and also the relevent section from /var/log/kern.log

Could someone please help resolve this?
Thank you.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (250.1 KB) nvidia-crash-kern-log.log (13.0 KB)

This looks like the same problem as described here: 440.48.02: Random X.org lock ups due to kernel module crash