Connect Machinima Create and IsaacSim, export

Hi
as the title suggest I’m looking in connecting these three components. Specifically, I want to use machinima to animate models and create animation sequences and export those to create/isaacsim.

I was able to use the sequencer quite easily. Then, I’ve exported the USD of the scene. Now several scenarios open up:

• Create (Windows) I can import the USD, enable the sequencer, and see the animations.
  • Create (Linux) I can import the USD, but only some of the assets are being loaded. I can force-load the other ones by updating the references (even if the paths are absolute to the localhost server). But even if I enable the sequencer only the standard animation is played (not the generated one)
  • IsaacSim (Linux) can import the USD, only some assets loaded, no sequencer available.

How can I solve this?
Is it possible to export the single animation sequence track as an animation USD? In that way I could use that one as “primary animation” of the target.

Any other suggestion will be appreciated (even going through loops like Machinima → Unreal → Isaac)

eventually, would it be possible to change the animation programmatically? let’s say that I have a character in my scene with the default animation (for example walking), and that is looped while my IsaacSim is running and at one point I just change it through python to “sit down” or some other animation. Would this be effective?

This is the error from Create in Ubuntu when I try to create a track in sequencer.

2021-09-23 07:36:30  [Error] [carb.python] Failed to execute a command: SequencerTrackCreateCommand.
  File "/home/ebonetto/.local/share/ov/pkg/create-2021.3.5/exts/omni.kit.window.sequencer-102.1.10+cp37/omni/kit/window/sequencer/scripts/sequencer_view.py", line 604, in create_audio_track
    commands.execute("SequencerTrackCreateCommand", sequence_path=sequence.GetPrim().GetPath(), track_name=None, track_type="Audio")
  File "/home/ebonetto/.local/share/ov/pkg/create-2021.3.5/kit/extscore/omni.kit.commands/omni/kit/commands/command.py", line 228, in execute
    return omni.kit.undo.execute(command, name, kwargs)
[...skipped...]
  File "/home/ebonetto/.local/share/ov/pkg/create-2021.3.5/kit/extscore/omni.kit.commands/omni/kit/undo/undo.py", line 72, in execute
    result = _execute(command, name, level, history_key)
  File "/home/ebonetto/.local/share/ov/pkg/create-2021.3.5/kit/extscore/omni.kit.commands/omni/kit/undo/undo.py", line 312, in _execute
    raise e
  File "/home/ebonetto/.local/share/ov/pkg/create-2021.3.5/kit/extscore/omni.kit.commands/omni/kit/undo/undo.py", line 279, in _execute
    result = command.do()
  File "/home/ebonetto/.local/share/ov/pkg/create-2021.3.5/exts/omni.kit.sequencer.core-102.1.1+cp37/omni/kit/sequencer/core/scripts/sequencer_commands.py", line 154, in do
    raise ValueError(f"Specified sequence path is not valid: {self._sequence_path}")

<class 'ValueError'> Specified sequence path is not valid: /World/Sequence_02

Excuse me? Do you solve it? I have the same request as you.

Sadly, no. I guess that some components of machimina/sequencer are available only on windows.

once you have you animation setup in Machinima, you can save it as USD and run it in Isaac Sim

Hi @ltorabi, thanks for getting back to me
this is exactly what I’ve tried but it is not working.
I followed this workflow:

• opened machinima
  • imported the asset
  • create the sequence (with different animations one after the other + walking …)
  • exported the USD
  • opened the USD in IsaacSim/Create
  • Played
  • Three scenarios: Create in Windows works if I enable the sequencer extension. Create in Linux does not play the animation. IsaacSim in Linux does not play the animation.

Did it get updated? Am I missing something, maybe in the export step?

Best regards,
Elia

For the 2021.2.0 release all of the extensions that were available in Create (sequencer etc) should be available in Isaac Sim and things should be easier to transfer across different omniverse applications.

1 Like

Oh, that’s actually wonderful!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.