ConnectX-3 on Ubuntu 20.04

I’ve tried installing driver 4.9-2.2.4.0 (LTS) and 5.0-2.1.8.0 and from source but always end up with:

Failed to install mlnx-ofed-kernel-dkms DEB

In the log I find:

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.8.0-41-generic (x86_64)

Consult /var/lib/dkms/mlnx-ofed-kernel/5.0/build/make.log for more information.

dpkg: error processing package mlnx-ofed-kernel-dkms (–install):

installed mlnx-ofed-kernel-dkms package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 10

Errors were encountered while processing:

mlnx-ofed-kernel-dkms

In the referenced log I find:

Error: CONFIG_MLX5_ESWITCH not support kernel version 5.6 or higher (current: 5.8.0-41-generic).

When trying to run add_kernel_support it fails in the same way, the log shows;

/tmp/mlnx_iso.131692/mlnx-ofed-kernel/mlnx-ofed-kernel-5.0/configure --kernel-version=5.8.0-41-generic --kernel-sources=/lib/modules/5.8.0-41-generic/build/ --with-core-mod --with-user_mad-mod --with-user_access-mod --with-addr_trans>

Error: CONFIG_MLX5_ESWITCH not support kernel version 5.6 or higher (current: 5.8.0-41-generic).

and further:

checking for cross compilation… no

checking for external module build target… configure: error: kernel module make failed; check config.log for details

Failed executing ./configuremake[1]: *** [debian/rules:62: override_dh_auto_configure] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/tmp/mlnx_iso.131692/mlnx-ofed-kernel/mlnx-ofed-kernel-5.0’

make: *** [debian/rules:50: build] Error 2

dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit status 2

I’m not sure what I can try to make the install work, any tips? Note that my Linux skills are green at best.

Hello Ruben,

Thank you for posting your inquiry on the NVIDIA Networking Community.

Unfortunately, both driver versions do not support your kernel version. We recommend to to wait for the upcoming MLNX_OFED 4.9 LTS version which will be released later in the quarter which will contain support for higher kernel versions (expected kernel version 5.10)

Thank you and regards,

~NVIDIA Networking Technical Support

Hallo Martijn,

Goed om te horen/Great to hear that the Connectx-3 receives continued support.

Best regards,

Ruben

Hello. When would the release of the new driver be ?

Hello, some updates would be very welcome. Is it possible to have a more precise ETA?

New version 4.9-3.1.5.0 appeared but unfortunately installation fails with the same error “not support kernel version 5.6 or higher”. When is the new kernel support coming?

1 Like

Can confirm. Clean install of ubuntu20.04. Same error as with previous versions.

1 Like

Good Day,

Please can I get an update on an the updated LTS OFED package that does support a higher Kernel.

Kind regards,

TS

After almost a year, I am still getting the same error on Ubuntu 20.04: “Error: CONFIG_MLX5_ESWITCH not support kernel version 5.6 or higher”. The LTS driver is supposed to support the Ubuntu 20.04. What should I do to make it work?

1 Like