Crash in nvoglv64.dll using ray queries

I am getting a crash inside the driver after running my application for a couple frames. I’ve tried turning on every possible validation layer with no output and turned on NSight Aftermath which didn’t give me anything either.

All I’m getting is an Exception: Exception 0xc0000005 encountered at address 0x7ffca6857b2c: Access violation reading location 0x00000030. The exception itself is not happening on my main thread, so I suspect the driver is reading some invalid memory somewhere. If the rayQueryProceedEXT() call in the shader is commented out, there is no crash so most likely the acceleration structure gets built incorrectly, though it’s showing up normally in NSight.

The crash does not seem to be coming from a specific Vulkan call, the exact point where it crashes varies across runs. I’ve verified that this does not happen on an AMD GPU (Radeon RX 6700 XT).

Tested GPUs: RTX 3060 Ti, RTX 3070.
Driver version: 531.54.0.0

I have attached the program I am running, as well as the source code. There is quite a lot of library code in the source, but the main interesting part should be examples/03_raytracing.rs.

phobos-rs.zip (2.1 MB)

I have since implemented raytracing pipelines and the exact same acceleration structure does not cause a crash when using RT pipelines instead of ray queries.

1 Like