CUDA 3.2RC in Ubuntu 10.10 driver installation fails

I have an AMAX workstation with 12G memory and a Tesla C2050 card. I’ve installed Ubuntu 10.10 64bit with nvidia driver 260.19 which comes with the system. It works fine.

I am trying to install CUDA 3.2RC on it. I stopped gdm first. When I try to install the nvidia driver 260.24, it says the pre-install scripts fail to run and asks me if I want to continue anyway. So I continued anyway. The installation seems to be fine but I cannot restart gdm. So I reboot the computer. But the X windows failed to be lanuched. It only can boot to the console.

I searched the internet and saw many instruction on how to install an old version of cuda on an old version of ubuntu. I was able to follow those methods for the older edition of driver and cuda, but this time new problem arises for the new edition, as described above.

What can I do? I am not a proficient Ubuntu user. If you could kindly tell me how to fix the problem step by step, I will greatly appreicate that.

BTW, this workstation is dual boot. I’ve installed Windows 7 64bit and installed CUDA 3.2RC on the same machine without a problem. Installing the graphics driver on Linux always seems to be a hassle.

Thank you,

I have an AMAX workstation with 12G memory and a Tesla C2050 card. I’ve installed Ubuntu 10.10 64bit with nvidia driver 260.19 which comes with the system. It works fine.

I am trying to install CUDA 3.2RC on it. I stopped gdm first. When I try to install the nvidia driver 260.24, it says the pre-install scripts fail to run and asks me if I want to continue anyway. So I continued anyway. The installation seems to be fine but I cannot restart gdm. So I reboot the computer. But the X windows failed to be lanuched. It only can boot to the console.

I searched the internet and saw many instruction on how to install an old version of cuda on an old version of ubuntu. I was able to follow those methods for the older edition of driver and cuda, but this time new problem arises for the new edition, as described above.

What can I do? I am not a proficient Ubuntu user. If you could kindly tell me how to fix the problem step by step, I will greatly appreicate that.

BTW, this workstation is dual boot. I’ve installed Windows 7 64bit and installed CUDA 3.2RC on the same machine without a problem. Installing the graphics driver on Linux always seems to be a hassle.

Thank you,

Did Nvidia installer ask you to disable Ubuntu driver “nouveau”. It should be blacklisted.

Under /etc/modprobe.d/ , you should see a file nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf

that contains:

generated by nvidia-installer

blacklist nouveau

options nouveau modeset=0

Did Nvidia installer ask you to disable Ubuntu driver “nouveau”. It should be blacklisted.

Under /etc/modprobe.d/ , you should see a file nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf

that contains:

generated by nvidia-installer

blacklist nouveau

options nouveau modeset=0

The set of instructions you are looking for can be found at

[url=“http://accelerone.blogspot.com/”]http://accelerone.blogspot.com/[/url]

The set of instructions you are looking for can be found at

[url=“http://accelerone.blogspot.com/”]http://accelerone.blogspot.com/[/url]

Try commenting the “monitor” section in xorg.conf file

Try commenting the “monitor” section in xorg.conf file

I have found out that CUDA 3.2RC is not compatible with Ubuntu 10.10. It worked great when I installed it on Ubuntu 10.04 though. One thing that made it work for me was to use gcc 4.3 instead of 4.4.

I have found out that CUDA 3.2RC is not compatible with Ubuntu 10.10. It worked great when I installed it on Ubuntu 10.04 though. One thing that made it work for me was to use gcc 4.3 instead of 4.4.

CUDA 3.2RC works fine with gcc 4.4 here (Arch Linux x86_64). You can also use the plain 260.19.12 driver that is probably available in your package manager: it’s more recent than 260.24 (yeah, stupid version number…), and it works fine here with 2 GPUs (Quadro FX 3800 and Tesla C2050).

CUDA 3.2RC works fine with gcc 4.4 here (Arch Linux x86_64). You can also use the plain 260.19.12 driver that is probably available in your package manager: it’s more recent than 260.24 (yeah, stupid version number…), and it works fine here with 2 GPUs (Quadro FX 3800 and Tesla C2050).

That is very good luck for you and inconsistent to other folks on Arch having 260.19.12 driver issues. I was about to try it next till I found comments re: problems. Echoes those teething problems mentioned for Fedora 13/14, Ubuntu 10.10, Centos etc. I’ve tried all the OSes (but am partial to Fedora) without success after 256.xx worked perfectly. There are too many complaints for this to be isolated. I don’t know if this an xorg 1.91 problem, symlinks or what.

Link here–> After upgrade to nvidia-260.19.12-1, can't start X / Pacman & Package Upgrade Issues / Arch Linux Forums

That is very good luck for you and inconsistent to other folks on Arch having 260.19.12 driver issues. I was about to try it next till I found comments re: problems. Echoes those teething problems mentioned for Fedora 13/14, Ubuntu 10.10, Centos etc. I’ve tried all the OSes (but am partial to Fedora) without success after 256.xx worked perfectly. There are too many complaints for this to be isolated. I don’t know if this an xorg 1.91 problem, symlinks or what.

Link here–> After upgrade to nvidia-260.19.12-1, can't start X / Pacman & Package Upgrade Issues / Arch Linux Forums