Debian Jessie on Jetson TX1

I am trying to get fast boot time on TX1. In the effort to do so, I am trying to run Debian on the board and get rid of all the unnecessary packages and services Ubuntu provides.

Started with the net installer and after the installation completed I executed ./apply_binaries.sh on top of the FS. So far so good - got boot time of 8 seconds :) :)

Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)
Release:        8.7
Codename:       jessie

Then I continued with putting cuda and related accelerated libraries:

• CUDA framework - OK
  • VisionWorks lib - OK
  • OpenCV4Tegra - wasn’t so lucky:
    Got some dependency errors here and Debian doesn’t seem to support the packages in any release so far, including testing and unstable.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libopencv4tegra : Depends: libavcodec54 (>= 6:9.1-1) but it is not installable or
                            libavcodec-extra-54 (>= 6:9.11) but it is not installable
                   Depends: libavformat54 (>= 6:9.1-1) but it is not installable
                   Depends: libavutil52 (>= 6:9.1-1) but it is not installable
                   Depends: libjpeg8 (>= 8c) but it is not installable
                   Depends: libswscale2 (>= 6:9.1-1) but it is not installable
                   Depends: cuda-cudart-7-0 but it is not installable
                   Depends: cuda-npp-7-0 but it is not installable
                   Depends: cuda-cufft-7-0 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

The other problem I encountered was error from the famous nvcamera-daemon. Output on the console is like this:

[   27.885299] Library at 0x403138: 0x400000 /usr/sbin/nvcamera-daemon
[   27.893920] Library at 0x4022a8: 0x400000 /usr/sbin/nvcamera-daemon
[   27.902466] vdso base = 0x7f8f8f8000

And this used to work in Ubuntu and my camera.

Any help with these issues, please?

Hi amitev,

Please refer this topic: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/969861/?comment=4990058
Thanks!

Thanks for the answer carolyuu

As I read from the post, the problem is due to the host OS, and not the linux release on the target. However, I don’t get it how this dependancy problem on the target should be related to any host at all. Being used only as serial/ssh terminal I can be using any OS I like on my PC.

I guess the problem lies with the *.deb package of opencv4tegra and some library link issue with the camera daemon.

Anyway, I have installed Ubuntu Server 16.04 on the board now and it seems to have faster boot time than the one supplied by Nvidia: I get 10s from power up to serial console prompt, compared to at least 15s with Nvidia’s Ubuntu stripped from GUI and other packages I could think of.

Still, Debian seems a lot more tidied up (and boot time of 7-8s) and I hope I hope there will be support in the future for Tegra boards.