Deepstream GStreamer version

GStreamer 1.20 was released recently, but Deepstream 6 is still based on GStreamer 1.14. There are several improved and new GStreamer plugins that would be useful in our solution, so it would be very good if we could use a more recent version of GStreamer together with Deepstream. Are there any plans or a roadmap for upgrading the version of GStreamer that Deepstream is based on?

2 Likes

yes, we have plan to upgarde GStreamer to higher version.

Thanks!

1 Like

I support Tomas observation and request,
I’d like to be using the latest GStreamer 1.20 to benefit from recent bug fixes and new features however, stuck with 1.14 which is centuries old. My project utilises GStreamer elements and plugins.
I recognise there is some work to move the Nvidia centric plugins nvh264enc etc to the latest build tools (Meson, Ninja) however, I feel there needs to be more work in keeping up with GStreamer releases since IMHO since the GStreamer development team are screaming ahead…
If NVidia’s not in a hurry then, please advise a build tool or steps (procedures) to allow users to build GStreamer from the latest build repositories.

Closing I’ve found Xavier NX product excellent value for money although finding the JetPack updates a little slow to get to speed. JetPack or is it PidgeonPack?

4 Likes

Is there an estimated timeline for updating the gstreamer version for deepstream?

1 Like

Hi @matt.m ,
The latest DeepStream has upgraded GStreamer 1.16.2

It’s very good that DeepStream has started using GStreamer 1.16, but I would be even better to know when we get to GStreamer 1.20. I think the current GStreamer version in DeepStream is 1.16.3, at least that is what I get when checking the version in the NVDIA docker containers:

gst-launch-1.0 --version

1.16.3 also happens to be the current version of the GStreamer packages for Ubuntu 20. So maybe the explanation for not using a newer version is that NVIDIA uses the latest version with packages available for the Ubuntu version?! If that is the case it would be good to know when DeepStream will be based on Ubuntu 22 LTS as that version has GStreamer 1.20 packages.

1 Like

There is no update from you for a period, assuming this is not an issue anymore. Hence we are closing this topic. If need further support, please open a new one.
Thanks

yes, your understanding is right.

no plan so far.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.