Difference in performance and stability between different Joint types

I’m trying to get this kind of setup a bit more stable and preferable improve performance:
External Image

Basically it’s a system of 4 constraints, two of them have angular drive and limits enabled and two are “fixed”. As I use UE4 we have only 6Dof joint out of the box, other types of joints are not implemented.

Before I switch to using Articulations for this, I just want to be sure that I wouldn’t get better results with a couple of hinge and fixed joints instead of using 6dof.

Any thoughts on this?

All joints are an extension to PhysX that makes the PhysX constraint system easier to work with. As such most joints have an equivalent D6 joint setup which will have fundamentally the same behavior and performance. An hinge joint is basically the same as a D6 joint with 5 degrees of freedom locked and the twist axis unlocked (or limited/driven) in terms of the way it generates constraints for physx to solve. Similarly a fixed joint is essentially a D6 joint with all 6 degrees of freedom locked.

It wasn’t clear to me from the screenshot exactly what you’re trying to set up but keep in mind that articulations are going to work a lot better when you don’t have any cycles in your chain of bodies.

All this is just from reading the docs/source so by all means double check what I’ve said for yourself. I could be wrong.

Thank you for reply! I didn’t received any notification and stopped checking forums.

Most likely articulation would help with stability but I’ve decided to abandon this approach all together as there where other issues with it. Mainly performance, having 8 sets of setup like this, doesn’t scale with more vehicle being added.
For the fairness, I’ll make articulation setup later, it might be useful in other use cases.