Driver will not install in updated kernel on RHEL6

Hi everyone,

I downloaded the Linux driver from the NVIDIA website & installed it successfully, but after a kernel upgrade, it refuses to install to the new kernel & I cannot even boot to the new kernel – X windows does not start. I have tried booting to the current kernel & installing using --kernel-name, but it claims that the kernel source is missing & it cannot install. This is strange because I never installed the kernel source for the kernel in which it does work, though I have installed the kernel-headers & kernel-devel packages. Also, unfortunately RHEL makes installing kernel source a nightmare.

Anyway, here is the output from /var/log/nvidia-installer.log:

nvidia-installer log file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’
creation time: Mon Dec 2 15:03:57 2013
installer version: 331.20

PATH: /usr/local/cuda/bin:/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/home/wafa/bin:/root/bin

nvidia-installer command line:
./nvidia-installer
–x-module-path=/usr/lib64/xorg/modules
–kernel-name=2.6.32-431.23.2.el6.x86_64

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
→ Tagging shared libraries with chcon -t textrel_shlib_t.
→ License accepted.
→ Installing NVIDIA driver version 331.20.
→ There appears to already be a driver installed on your system (version: 331.20). As part of installing this driver (version: 331.20), the existing driver will be uninstalled. Are you sure you want to continue? (‘no’ will abort installation) (Answer: Yes)
→ Would you like to register the kernel module sources with DKMS? This will allow DKMS to automatically build a new module, if you install a different kernel later. (Answer: No)
→ Not probing for precompiled kernel interfaces.
→ Performing CC sanity check with CC=“cc”.
ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the ‘kernel-source’ or ‘kernel-devel’ RPM installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the ‘–kernel-source-path’ command line option.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file ‘/var/log/nvidia-installer.log’ for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Why don’t you save yourself a lot of headaches and get the nvidia driver packages from http://elrepo.org

If you insist on doing it the hard way I would guess that you need the kernel devel package installed and some symlink to make the compiler happy.

Again unless you are trying to make this hard just go get the elrepo package. They use the nvidia src and package it so that all you need to do is yum install once the repo is enabled and it should “just work”. They even have a nvidia-detect package that you can install first to have it tell you what packages you need.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Tom

Dear Team,

I am trying to install ABS-GEFORCE 7300 graphics card drivers on Centos 7.2 and getting below error message.

ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the ‘kernel-source’ or ‘kernel-devel’ RPM installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the ‘–kernel-source-path’ command line option.

first installed this package
-NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-304.132.run
It doesn’t help it was later uninstalled.

Drivers and packages are as below by using Elrepo

-nvidia_detect
-kmod-nvidia
-kmod-nvidia-304xx-304.131-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

• nvidia-x11-drv-304xx-304.131-1.el7.elrepo.x86_64

how to fix this issue I am able to run multi-mode but no graphics mode.