Egpu issue

Hi all, I am working on a razer blade stealth with razer core x, inside the razer core i have a nvidia geforce 1060 graphic card. I have set the bios thunderbolt settings for the use of egpu, (it works brillantly back then when i was using windows). And i have switch system76-graphics to hybrid. First pop os won’t boot correctly when the egpu is connected, secondly if i boot without the egpu and i plug it later my second screen and my nvidia will be recognized but my second screen (which is plugged in the egpu) won’t swith on and the graphics performance are verry poor, the nvidia x server shows nothing (no trace of the nvidia card). I have uninstall reinstall system76 power and nvidia graphic (provided with pop os) but nothing has changed. I have read many things and my issu is similar to the one faced by this guy: https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-linux-setup/razer-blade-15-2018-razer-core-v1-nvidia-1080-ti-pop-os-20-04/ . But still no solution that works.

My etc/modprobe.b.system76-power.conf file is maybe the source of the problem after all of what i have read but i don’t know what i should change:

Automatically generated by system76-power

blacklist i2c_nvidia_gpu
alias i2c_nvidia_gpu off
options nvidia NVreg_DynamicPowerManagement=0x02
options nvidia-drm modeset=1

EGPUs need to be enabled in xorg.conf

Option "AllowHMD" "yes"

https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/384.98/README/xconfigoptions.html

Sorry, ignore last post, of course it’s
Option "AllowExternalGpus" "true"
https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/396.51/README/egpu.html

Thank you for your answer, On my /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf i have put: Option “AllowExternalGpus” “true”
and reboot, but still not solved. Anything i have missed ?

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

Attached nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (222.8 KB) you can find the log file

You’re getting pcie bus errors and kernel oopses. This is often caused by bad TB cables.

I had no problem when using it with windows, the egpu doesn’t work since i have installed linux. Nevertheless i have an other thunderbolt cable i will try and tell you the results

Just tried with an other thunderbolt cable same problem. Impossible to boot with the egpu connected. And when i connect it when booted nvidia x server show nothing and the screen connected to the egpu stay black

Taken a look at the logs again, did you try to hot-plug/unplug the gpu? That doesn’t work with Xorg. You would then have to restart the Xserver.

Plug unplug didn’t work. How should i restart the Xserver ?

That was the point hotplugging doesn’t work
Either reboot the notebook or try
sudo systemctl restart display-manager

sudo systemctl restart display-manager work, it’s a bodge i have to start my computer without the egpu, plug it, and then restart display manager, but at least it works so thank you very much. Don’t you know why the display manager is blocking at the boot when the egpu is plug ?

No, shouldn’t happen in the first place. Can you ssh into the system when you booted with the egpu connected to create a new nvidia-bug-report.log?