Error while querying valid values for attribute XRandRVersion in RHEL 5 using the latest 320+ driver

Hello,

I currently using RHEL 5.8 using a quadro 5800 card. And when I do nvidia-settings --query all, I get this error message:

ERROR: Error while querying valid values for attribute ‘XRandRVersion’ on
:0.0 (Missing Extension).

Any idea why?

Thanks.
nvidia-bug-report.log (1.12 MB)

Can you please follow the instructions in the sticky posts about how to generate and attach a bug report log? Thanks!

Hello Aaron,

I updated my first post and attached the log file.

Thanks!

Does your system have libXrandr installed? You should have a libXrandr.so.2 in your library path.

Aaron,

I have libXrandr (version 1.1) installed into my system. I can launch the xrandr command just fine. The thing is, when I was using the nvidia driver 295.X, the nvidia driver can detect xrandr version just fine. But since I updated the nvidia driver, it doesn’t detect it anymore for some reason.

Hello,

Is there any updates on this?

Thanks.

No, I’m afraid I haven’t had a chance to look at this. However, it looks like the minimum required version of the RandR extension for nvidia-settings got increased to 1.2 in 310.14 and your X server is too old to support that.

Are you seeing any functional problems, or are you just worried about the warning message you see when you run nvidia-settings -q all?

I cannot change the resolution without restarting the x-server, which is very inconvenient. Is there anyway to fix this?

How are you trying to change the resolution? I installed RHEL 5 and was able to change the resolution through the nvidia-settings control panel, the xrandr command-line client, and the GNOME screen resolution dialog.

Aaron,

I can change the resolution via xrandr command and GNOME screen resolution just fine. But when attempted to change it via nvidia-settings GUI, it hangs for a bit, then the screen flickers, and nothing happens. I forgot to mention that I’m accessing the system via HP RGS.

Thanks,

Hello Aaron,

Any update on this?

Thanks,

Does it work if you don’t use RGS, or if you use a desktop environment other than GNOME?

Finally, please run “killall gnome-settings-daemon” and then try to change the resolution through nvidia-settings again. If that works, then gnome-settings-daemon is probably undoing whatever nvidia-settings does because it thinks it knows better what the screen resolution should be.

Aaron,

Our servers is located in a different building, that is why my co-workers and I have to use HP RGS to access our server. There’s no way around this.

Killing all “gnome-settings-daemon” didn’t do anything. Please note that back in the 295.X days, in RGS, I was able to change resolution in the nvidia-settings GUI just fine.

Thanks,

Hello Aaron,

Is there any updates on this?

Thanks,