Flash with sdkmanager and get default user

Completely new to this I used sdkmanager to install tx2 ( 4.2.3 version) and now I can ping my tx2 via usb but no ssh.
Then I read there is no default user created.
I saw this
script to “pre create” accounts, but beware you would need to flash the unit again:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1054926/jetson-nano/jetson-nano-all-usb-ports-suddenly-stopped-working/post/5356153/#5356153
but not sure if it can be used with sdkmanager.

Since i have no hdmi output somehow i have a hard time telling whats going on…
I know i should get a serial cable…

Thanks for your help

Hi katrin.schmid,

You can use l4t_create_default_user script to flash image by manually.
[It can skip desktop setup process, using default username and password]
Then using sdkmanager to install sdk components.

3 days later i find this and i can screen in
https://www.jetsonhacks.com/2019/08/21/jetson-nano-headless-setup/

I dont think there is a network connection or ip. Since its 3.2 i still have default users.
should that setup still work with like 4.2?

Hi katrin.schmid,

Yes, it’s working on JetPack-4.3.
You can reference L4T documentation.

Serial console or local login (even if only text) would be very useful. If you can, then post the output from both the Jetson and RPi for:

ifconfig
route

Here we go
wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:04:4b:a7:dd:de
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

ubuntu@jetson-0324917251200:~$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 1000 0 0 l4tbr0
172.17.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 docker0
192.168.55.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 l4tbr0

ubuntu@jetson-0324917251200:~$

wifi connection (WPA2 Enterprise) fails with

nmcli> activate

(process:2286): libnm-CRITICAL **: nm_setting_wireless_security_get_key_mgmt: assertion ‘NM_IS_SETTING_WIRELESS_SECURITY (setting)’ failed
Monitoring connection activation (press any key to continue)
Error: Connection activation failed.

or
ubuntu@jetson-0324917251200:~$ sudo nmcli --ask con up id UTS-Wifi
[sudo] password for ubuntu:
Error: Connection activation failed.

Managed to get wifi up with nmlci in the end and ssh…
What is the gcc version/ubuntu to jetson kit version mapping?
My code was written with gcc 7 and is slightly unhappy around jetson 3. something

So for all 4.x install opencv seems bad? Sure that is a know thing?

Hi,

Sorry to jump into this issue. What is your current issue? I don’t see a clear description about it.

Just spent the last 3 days running in all the beginners gotchas with headless setup.
Hopefully out of the woods now

ok. If you have any further questions about jetson nano, please let us know.

The “route” content is complete, but the “ifconfig” appears to have been cut off. Is this the entire “ifconfig” output? Also, what is the output of the same commands on the other computer? Is the TX2’s only connection via the USB virtual wired ethernet (the 192.168.55.1 address)?

Its just ifconfig wlan0 probably. I figured it out already, updated to ubuntu 18 and got open cv working.
Lets see whats my next adventure:)

So I am trying to flash with anewer version of jetpack
sdkmanager --cli install --user myemail --logintype devzone --product Jetson --version GA_4.2.3 --targetos Linux --host --flash all

All computervision packs show an error in the shell. Can i skip them and make it work without them?
Ssh seems to not work then despite it does otherwise (default user ubuntu)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bIPvW_eopIs7b_e8DB-xgOrw6zfR5YuW/view

You can skip those, just deselect. Of all of the packages, it is CUDA itself which is key to almost everything. I would simply install CUDA and see if that succeeds. Following this you can try to add other individual packages. However, I don’t know the correct method to do this via command line interface (presumably there would be a way with arrow or tab keys to navigate around the curses menu and deselect something…there is a list of those keys in the menu, but I have not tried cli before).

I think it might be wrong --target id. I figured out its P3310 from
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/.
ssh seems to not work when usb is plugged with default ubuntu user.
So whats the relationship for ssh with recovery mode, ip, usb cable plugged? Does the ip change, wifi gets disabled or similar?

There is no default ubuntu user in more recent releases…this gets added at first login. SSH cannot work if there is no account.

In recovery mode the micro-B USB cable shows up on the host PC as a custom USB device. The flash software has a “driver package”, and this is what understands and operates on that custom USB device.

When flashed with default software and booted the TX2 micro-USB port switches function depending on whether the connector to this is type micro-A or type micro-B.

A regular USB device (such as a keyboard or mouse) uses a type-A cable, and the TX2 would work with such devices normally for that type-A connector.

If the micro-B connector is used, then the detect pin switches the port to device mode. This means the TX2 itself becomes a device, and it is expected that the other end is a host which can use that device.

In fully booted device mode the basic programming can be customized, and one of those customizations is that the TX2 will appear as a USB ethernet adapter to the host PC. The TX2 gets assigned a 192.168.55.1 IP address, and via DHCP, the other end (the PC) listens to that DHCP request and assigns address 192.168.55.100 to the host PC. Any ethernet route to 192.168.55.1 will go to the TX2, and any route to 192.168.55.100 is essentially loopback from the PC to itself. This is a virtual wired ethernet. This is wired since it does not use WiFi, and it is virtual since the TX2 is only pretending to be ethernet hardware.

Adding additional packages, e.g., CUDA, is done via ssh over wired ethernet and ssh. The host PC running SDKM does not care if the wired ethernet is virtual or actual ethernet hardware.

One catch is that sometimes the host PC might be set up to not use random USB devices (as a security setting), and might need to be told to use that address.

Another option, if you know the TX2’s actual wired ethernet address, is to tell SDKM to use that IP address.

NetworkManager determines rules related to what to change when WiFi goes up or down, and is one of the more frustrating aspects of any networking setup. Sometimes WiFi going up causes wired interfaces to be dropped, but this is unrelated to the Jetson hardware and is purely an “Ubuntu thing”. The default flash has no ability to set up WiFi for you, and thus all package additions are coded to only work via wired ethernet. However, in the same way that you could tell the TX2 to use the true hardware wired ethernet address instead of the virtual wired ethernet address, you could tell SDKM to use the WiFi address. The trick is that you must manually set this up yourself since WiFi router and other considerations are beyond the scope of the TX2 (routers are secured independent devices).