Flickering at the top of the screen

Even if NVIDIA site doesn’t allow you to download old versions of drivers, I remind you, that most of popular distros (like Arch) allow you to use archives of packages.

1 Like

Sure thing, searching around you can find the drivers in the archives and using the terminal you can install them, hopefully without troubles (and troubles are around the corner with this stuff).
The point is that a driver with issues like this one shouldn’t be pushed as stable but right now it is.

Done the same here from a week. This time it is the best way, also so that some games no longer work.

I’ve looked for a reason for a month. I didn’t believe that such bug can be in official NVIDIA drivers. There were problems with GNOME upgrading/downgrading too… but then I’ve caught it in Plasma and Xcde.

This is a MAJOR bug that didn’t exist before and it slipped right through to the official drivers which makes you wonder if Nvidia actually did a proper beta testing. It should have been fixed straight away and it’s been going on for months.

1 Like

Issue has been root caused, fix will be available in future driver releases.

7 Likes

I’m testing driver 535.86.05 and it seems fixed for me.

I don’t know why powermizer mode is setted to prefer maximum performance, even if right now I don’t have the command in my i3 config file, but even after I manually change it to Auto (so it changes to Adaptive) it seems fine.

Just wanted to give an update after upgrading to the newly released 535.86.05 drivers. The issue still persists on my GTX 1650 GPU. Albeit the frequency of the flicker has reduced.

Nvidia Driver: 535.86.05
GPU: GeForce GTX 1650
Kernel: 6.1.38-2-lts
GNOME Shell: 44.3
Windowing System: X11
Screen Resolution: 2560x1440 @ 144Hz

Edit: Spoke too soon. Now I see long flickers with the screen blacking out for nearly 3 seconds.

1 Like

The new 535.86.05 driver has mitigated the flickering problem, but the bug still exists - the monitor flickers from time to time, though not so often as before.

GPU: GeForce RTX 2070
Kernel: 6.4.4
Screen resolution: 3840x2160@60Hz

1 Like

I can report that 535.86.05 did not fix the issue for me nor did it affect it’s frequency despite setting maximum performance in the nvidia settings.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile
Windowing System: X11
Screen Resolution: 3440x1440 @ 100Hz via thunderbolt to G-Sync external monitor

2 Likes

Similar flicker at the top of the screen here with MSI Gaming X 4060 Ti, Ryzen 5900x, Mint/Cinnamon 20.3, kernel 5.15.0-76, DP-connected HP and driver version 535.86.05. Enabling Nvidia’s fullscreen compositor “fixed” most of it, but not all.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the feedback with latest released driver.
We are working on it actively for the root cause.

3 Likes

Flicker at the top of the screen with driver 535.86.05-0ubuntu0.22.04.1.

Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS
Linux hal 5.19.0-50-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Mon Jul 10 18:24:29 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Monitor LG Electronics LG Ultra HD (DP-0) 3840x2160 at 60 Hz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

With the new driver update, it’s even worse than before on my machine. 535.65.05 on 2080ti. Let’s hope it’s fixed soon.

I am having the same problem with my new 4060 TI, however I am using Windows. Can you please tell me if the update to fix this bug will be released for Linux only or will it affect Windows as well?

The same issue also for me.

Driver Version: 535.86.05
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Debian 12
Linux localhost 6.1.0-10-amd64
2 x Screens (2560x1440)

Setting Maximum Performance on PowerMizer reduces it a lot but i see 2-3 flickerings / 10 minute now.
It’s very annoying. Please release a beta version so we can download. I’m thinking to reinstall Windows at the moment.

The developers will solve it :) Good things take time.

Yes i’m not saying the opposite , the problem is that the system is unusable. Now for some reason it does it more often.

It’s not a normal bug, it’s critical, we need to uninstall the driver and go with nouveau, but with that there are also other issues. Currently the only stable solution is windows which is not an option for some users.

I downgraded to 525.125.06 a long time ago. Some games do not work with it. But I can live with it until the upgrade.

Do you have any guide to downgrade nvidia drivers
I’ve done it before but I don’t remember it and the version (530.41.03 ) I need doesn’t appear in the packages using Yay I’m in Manjaro