I just heart about CUDA and was wondering if it would make sense (and if it is even possible) to upgrade the GPU in my notebook. I currently have a NVIDIA GT330M running in a Sony Vaio VPCZ1390X with Intel i7 core but it’s not supported in Mathematica or in MATLAB where I usually work. I am running mostly lengthy Monte Carlo that could be easily parallelized. As I am often travelling it would make sense for me to have more computing power in my notebook.
- Can my current GPU be upgraded?
- If yes, what would be the Chip that would increase my computing power the most and where can I buy it?
- If no, can I buy an external device and connected to my Laptop? Again, what gives me most computing power?
- Apart from the Notebook, if I wanted to build a stationary system/cluster, what would make most sense i.e. what would give me best speed/price ratio. Max price ca 5000USD.
- Is it even possible to really profit from GPU computing using the CUDA implementations in higher level languages like MATLAB and Mathematica or should I rather do everything in C. How much of a difference does it make?
Thanks for your help