HDMI external displays not working

Running Ubuntu dual boot. I’m unable to get any external HDMI display working. All displays work with other PCs.

• Hardware: ASUS TUF DASH F15
  • GPU: 3050
  • CPU: i7
  • Distro: Ubuntu 20.04
  • Kernel: 5.11.0-40-generic
  • Nvidia driver: 470.82.00

I’ve attempted the following (and more) without success, all with external monitor connected:

• UEFI Secure Boot disabled
  • Comment out the nvidia-drm modeset option in /lib/modprobe.d/nvidia-kms.conf
  • Switching between GDM3 and LightDM
  • Adding Option "PrimaryGPU" "Yes" to the OutputClass in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia.conf (needed to copy from /usr/share/X11)

help me @generix, you’re my only hope

xrandr verbose output: xrandr.txt (37.9 KB)
nvidia-bug-report: nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (330.1 KB)

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (330.1 KB)

TIA for the help

The bios seems to define 4 outputs, one hdmi on the nvidia, one hdmi and two displayports on the intel gpu. All show ‘disconnected’. What kind of connectors does your notebook actually have? Which did you try?

There is a single physical HDMI port. I have tried this with a straight HDMI-HDMI cable, an HDMI-DP adapter, and have also tried with a dual-HDMI port USB-C hub; none of these things worked on two different monitors. What DOES work is a straight usbC-DP cable.

Likely a driver bug, if possible, try downgrading to a 460 driver.

On 460.91.03, still no luck. Logs attached.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (511.6 KB)
xrandr.txt (37.9 KB)
nvidia-smi.txt (1.7 KB)

I get the suspicion the hdmi connector is simply broken. Please double-check using Windows.

I also have similar issue. My secondary monitor is detected but not displaying anything.

Hardware: ASUS TUF F15
GPU: 3050
CPU: i7
Distro: Ubuntu 20.04
Kernel: 5.11.0-40-generic
Nvidia driver: 470

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (437.3 KB)

Could someone help me out?
Thanks in advance.

According to the logs, your external hdmi monitor is connected to the intel igpu, not the nvidia. Please check the monitor manager in gnome control center to enable it.

The HDMI port does not work using Windows either. However, HDMI ports on a USB-C hub also do not work, so I’m disinclined to believe it’s the HDMI port itself. However, since it’s present on both Windows and Ubuntu, I’m guessing a BIOS problem.