How can I search for dupe bugs before filing my own?

I just filed a bug: https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia_bug/3427811

… I’m almost certain it’s a duplicate of other bugs people have encountered, but - I can’t search existing bugs, to check. Is there any way to get around this silly restriction?

No. FWIW, from my perspective the restriction is not silly, even if it occasionally inconveniences you. NVIDIA has many customers who rely on the confidentiality of bug reports.

In my personal experience and historical observation, for the past two decades, NVIDIA’s bug database has consistently restricted access to bug reports to whoever files the bug and relevant NVIDIA personnel. That seems to suggest it’s not likely to change.

NVIDIA has many customers who rely on the confidentiality of bug reports.

Then, these customers should have the option to mark their bug reports as confidential. But most bugs do not need to be confidential, either because they’re filed by people not doing confidential work or the nature of the bug is such that does not interfere with clients’ confidential work.

In my personal experience and historical observation, for the past two decades, NVIDIA’s bug database has consistently restricted access to bug reports to whoever files the bug and relevant NVIDIA personnel. That seems to suggest it’s not likely to change.

NVIDIA is surprisingly resistant to change in some respects. You can’t even have line breaks in bug reports still.

As the Wikipedia would say: Citation needed.

@njuffa: As NVIDIA is keeping the bug DB secret, the onus of disproving this is on the company. Or for the purposes of this argument, on you.

Also, even if it were “a large fraction of the bugs”, my argument still stands.