How to connect to BUS 002 for USB 3.0 - Jetson Nano 2GB

Hi all, I am trying to connect 2 ZED stereo cameras to the Jetson Nano and then run a python code using them. When I run the python script I get the following error:

[ZED][Init][Info] Camera opening timeout reached
CAMERA FAILED TO SETUP

After some looking around I found out the cameras need to be connected to USB3.0.

I did a lsusb -t and found:
Bus 02.Port1: Class=root hub, 5000M
Bus 01.Port2: Class=root hub, 480M

With lsusb it showed that my cameras were connected to Bus 001 but I need them to be connected to Bus 002 for USB 3.0 capabilities. I was wondering how I would go about doing that? Thank you

The root hub is just the connector on the Jetson. I don’t know which carrier board you use, but simply try plugging in to one of the other connectors. I can guarantee it won’t be the micro-OTG USB port.

Thank you for the swift reply, I am using the Jetson Nano 2GB Development Kit (P3541). I did try plugging it in to the other connectors but it always appears under BUS 001 when I check with lsusb

I don’t know which ports there are USB3 versus USB2 so far as wiring goes, but there is another possibility. When signal quality is insufficient a USB3 device will be downgraded to USB2, and the root hub it is seen connecting to will migrate appropriately. If you monitor “dmesg --follow”, and then plug in the device to each port, you might possibly see logs which either (A) say the device is truly USB2, or (B) say the device was downgraded from USB3 to USB2 (I don’t know, but it is simple to look at logs).

I do know the ZED cameras are very picky about being the only thing on that connector. Something else you might consider just for testing purposes is to plug a USB3 HUB (with nothing connected to it) on each of the connectors and checking “lsusb -t”; when you find a connector the HUB works with as USB3 mode, then unplug this and try just a single camera.

One other issue is that USB3 devices are allowed to consume more power than USB2. If for some reason the Jetson is unable to supply enough power, then this too might cause reverting to USB2 (which consumes less power). In that case a powered USB3 HUB might be the answer. Note that in no case will a Nano powered via the micro-OTG USB port be capable of providing enough power for a USB3 device.

Thank you for the great suggestion, I followed the “dmesg --follow”

Blockquote
[ 388.038645] usb 1-3: new SuperSpeed USB device number 6 using tegra-xusb
[ 388.059591] usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=2b03, idProduct=f582
[ 388.059603] usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 388.059610] usb 1-3: Product: ZED
[ 388.059617] usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Technologies, Inc.
[ 388.118230] uvcvideo 1-3:1.0: Entity type for entity ZED was not initialized!
[ 388.118579] uvcvideo 1-3:1.0: Entity type for entity ZED was not initialized!
[ 388.118740] uvcvideo 1-3:1.0: Entity type for entity Camera 1 was not initialized!
[ 388.120371] input: ZED as /devices/3610000.xhci/usb1/1-3/1-3:1.0/input/input41
[ 390.390396] usb 1-3: usb_suspend_both: status 0
Blockquote

It gets “usb_suspend_both: status 0” earlier in the logs too suggesting that it is disconnecting and reconnecting. The reoccurring issue seems to be related to the entity type not being initialized so I will look around for a fix. I see a few answers on google but nothing concrete.

As for power, I am powering the nano with a power bank that supplies the recommended 5V 3A through USB-C.

Hi,
The log shows it is enumerated as USB3 camera. Do yo connect one ZED camera or two? 2 ZED stereo cameras seems to be two cameras. Nano 2Gb is limited in memory. We would suggest connect only one camera for a try.

I eventually need 2 ZED stereo cameras attached for my project (2 cameras attached to a 3.0 hub which is fed into the nano) but for now I am testing just using the one. I never thought about the memory limitation, I will update once I get to the point of testing 2 cameras.

Update: It seems the calibration file for the cameras were not downloaded properly, I just copied and pasted them from my pc to the nano and everything seems to be working fine. It is indeed much slower with both cameras attached compared to just the one. Thanks for all the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.