I am able to create a new user. However, when I attempt to log in as that user, the desktop crashes and I land back on the login page.
Things I have tried:
- I am able to ssh in as the new user.
- I am able to switch to the new user in a terminal via the su command.
- I have re-flashed my device. Problem is still present.
- I have created the new user via useradd and with the GUI too. No effect.
- A have attempted to create the user as a regular user and as an admin user. No effect.
- I have copied all files from the working nvidia user’s home directory into the new user’s home directory (chown -R applied). No effect.
Looking in the /var/log/Xorg logs I suspect that the following may be related:
[ 3804.239] (EE) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
[ 3804.239] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failing initialization of X screen 0
[ 3804.239] (II) UnloadModule: “nvidia”
[ 3804.239] (II) UnloadSubModule: “wfb”
[ 3804.239] (II) UnloadSubModule: “fb”
[ 3804.239] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[ 3804.239] (EE)
Fatal server error:
[ 3804.239] (EE) no screens found(EE)
Any insight would be appreciated.