How to setup jetson nano for headless operation with deepstream

Is there an official guide to running the nano headless with deepstream. I see a lot of posts where you have to connect a monitor and set display parameters.

If we do this:

$ sudo systemctl disable gdm3
$ sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

reboot.

Will that work ok with deepstream (obviously without using the overlay or egl sink)?

In our "L4T Accelerated GStreamer User Guide " (Version 31.1) in Jetpack download center - https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/downloads , or you can simply open it by link - https://developer.download.nvidia.com/embedded/L4T/r31_Release_v1.0/Docs/Accelerated_GStreamer_User_Guide.pdf?DP-E-3fpKNcH5OPBO2HhbaJBDlTfcGH1p2Q76eV1Yhepre6zsr6KMyuI5Bexm5o-9PJUg-A-9EbwzE1uxlheS_MMYfTU0bM-XfAvy0_wj4BJwKenxKpQt5O986rshnIPDSn6YAQA3YjkhMgIdpdeOWiukm0B8l1LcvDUMM2xOYOZgLJXzAw

There is below recommended command to disable X11
sudo systemctl stop gdm sudo loginctl terminate-seat seat0

So that will make it go straight to a terminal in boot? No Ubuntu desktop? The section of the document you are referring to also states that those commands are to enable multiple overlay windows on the jetson tx2.

I’m after the recommended way to run deepstream in a nano without a screen or keyboard connected and without Ubuntu desktop taking up so much ram.

sorry, to make it boot with text mode after power cycle, below command is needed to switch the Run level to 3, i.e. multi-user.target (and runlevel3.target is a symbolic link to multi-user.target)

$ sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

for such ubuntu configuration, Jetson UBunbut follows the commot ubuntu.

overlaysink works fine with x disabled. You don’t even need to log in. Just ssh in and launch your app. Gst-play automatically chooses the right sink as well.

This works on Nano just fine. I have mine connected to a TV and do remote development with PyCharm and VsCode Insiders (both use ssh). Tested this setup with Xavier as well.

If you want to run entirely without a screen you can set up some kind of network sink and that works.

Thanks @mdegans and @mchi.

Thanks @mdegans!