I can't adjust the refresh rate in Nvidia Settings on Ubuntu 20.04 and Pop OS 20.10

I have a GeForce RTX 2060 and use Ubuntu 20.04 and Pop! OS. I have not been able to adjust the refresh rate in the Nvidia X Server Settings to the 1920x1080 144 Hz of my monitor. After I pick a resolution in X Server Display Configuration, I only have two options: auto and 60.
I also tried editing the configuration file by hand, with no effect.
Installing the Nouveau Open Source driver worked for browsing and other simple applications and the stuttering disappeared, but more elaborate video games were hard to run this way.
Does anyone have a suggestions as to how to fix this ?nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (363.3 KB)
I should that while I strongly believe that the refresh rate is the problem (because it disappeared when using Nouveau and setting it to 144 Hz), I am not entirely sure it is the problem behind the lagging.

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

Here is the nvidia-bug-report: nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (363.3 KB)

The EDID says you only have a 60Hz display:

EDID version: 1.4
Manufacturer: LGD Model 5e5 Serial Number 0
Made in year 2018
Digital display
8 bits per primary color channel
DisplayPort interface
Maximum image size: 34 cm x 19 cm
Gamma: 2.20
Supported color formats: RGB 4:4:4
First detailed timing includes the native pixel format and preferred refresh rate
Display x,y Chromaticity:
  Red:   0.5898, 0.3701
  Green: 0.3496, 0.5546
  Blue:  0.1552, 0.1103
  White: 0.3134, 0.3291
Established timings supported:
Standard timings supported:
Detailed mode: Clock 138.600 MHz, 344 mm x 194 mm
               1920 1968 2000 2080 hborder 0
               1080 1083 1088 1111 vborder 0
               -hsync -vsync 
               VertFreq: 59 Hz, HorFreq: 66634 Hz
Manufacturer-specified data, tag 0
ASCII string: LG Display
ASCII string: LP156WFC-SPD1
Checksum: 0x3e (valid)

That is weird, since the model I have was advertised as having a 144 Hz monitor. Thank you for telling me. I will definitely bring that up with the seller. But what is the cause for the lagging I am experiencing ? I have trouble watching a Youtube video or just scrolling. If it is a 60 Hz monitor, the 60 Hz setting should work fine.

Sounds like something related to vsync doesn’t work. Does enabling “ForceCompositionPipeline” in nvidia-settings mitigate the lag you’re seeing?

Unfortunately, it improved the situation only a bit. Is there a way to get vsync working properly ? In addition, is the EDID information completely certain ? I just want to avoid making an erroneous complaint about only getting sold a 60 Hz display.

Please switch to nouveau and post the output of
xrandr --verbose

Here is the output of xrandr --verbose: xrandroutput.txt (23.4 KB)

It’s definitely only a 60Hz display, no magic involved.
The ‘lag’ you’re seeing is a bit puzzling, don’t really know what kind of effect that could be. Was it the same with PopOS and Ubuntu? Please run glxgears and post the fps it’s outputting.

Here are a few seconds of glxgears output: glxgears.txt (859 Bytes) I should add that I tried playing a game and it ran smoothly, I hardly noticed anything. Youtube Videos are hardly watchable however, the videos stutters significantly.

Please run nvidia-setting, switch to the powermizer pane and play some youtube video. Check if the gpu is properly clocking up.

How can I tell if it is clocking up properly ?

Watch the powermizer pane in nvidia settings, it should go from PL0 to PL1…3

It is doesn’t seem to clock up properly. It took 2 minutes for it to go from 0 to 1 and meanwhile the video (and the nvidia settings window) was lagging significantly. Before it could go higher than 1, the Browser crashed and I had to force quit both it and the nvidia settings GUI.

Doesn’t sound good. Can you set “prefer maximum performance” in nvidia-settings, does the gpu then swicth to highest PL?

Yes, “Prefer Maximum Performance” makes the video run smoothly, even as I maximize and minimize the window to see if the GPU can keep up. I am happy with the performance like that. Is it safe to keep it at that setting or are there any drawbacks to that ?

It’s running at maximum performance, meaning it draws a lot of power and will produce a lot of heat and noise. Not something you will want in the long run on a notebook.
So it can clock up but somehow the driver can’t properly read the gpu usage so it doesn’t clock up dynamically. Sounds like a buggy bios, please check if an update is available.

I will check if an update is available and if that solves the problem.

Looking at your old log again, it seems the gpu is always reporting 0% usage. If there’s no bios update fixing this, I’d send it back to the vendor if still under warranty.