Isaac_ros_freespace_segmentation Quickstart demo launch file error

Hello,
I’m currently trying to launch the “isaac_ros_freespace_segmentation” Quickstart on Ubuntu 20.04 by following the steps outlined in the documentation. However, I’ve encountered an issue when following step eight:
When I run the launch file to start a demo of this package using the command below:
8.Run the launch file to spin up a demo of this package

/workspaces/isaac_ros-dev$ ros2 launch isaac_ros_bi3d_freespace isaac_ros_bi3d_freespace.launch.py featnet_engine_file_path:=/tmp/models/bi3d/bi3dnet_featnet.plan
segnet_engine_file_path:=/tmp/models/bi3d/bi3dnet_segnet.plan
max_disparity_values:=10

I get the following error:

[ERROR] [launch_ros.actions.load_composable_nodes]: Failed to load node ‘bi3d_node’ of type ‘nvidia::isaac_ros::bi3d::Bi3DNode’ in container ‘/bi3d_freespace/bi3d_freespace_container’: Could not find requested resource in ament index
[ros2-1] ros2 bag play: error: argument bag_path: Bag path ‘src/isaac_ros_depth_segmentation/resources/rosbags/bi3dnode_rosbag’ does not exist!
[component_container_mt-2] [ERROR] [1704708601.751761607] [freespace_segmentation_node]: Could not transform base_link to carter_camera_stereo_left: “base_link” passed to lookupTransform argument target_frame does not exist.

Could you please give me some help?
PS. It appears there might be a mix-up between the “freespace_segmentation” and “depth_segmentation” packages.
Furthermore, I’ve also noticed an issue with step 3, where it instructs to pull down a rosbag of sample data:
It seems that the correct path should be ‘src/isaac_ros_freespace_segmentation’ instead of ‘src/isaac_ros_depth_segmentation.’

Development Environment:
I’m working on a desktop, and both Isaac ROS Common and Isaac ROS Freespace Segmentation are updated to the latest release.
I’ve also had a successful experience working with the nvblox repository and have been enjoying it. Your assistance with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @sweetyleah0

Thank you for noticing this issue; the documentation is not complete.
The right order to launch this demo is as follows:

Step 3:

git clone https://github.com/NVIDIA-ISAAC-ROS/isaac_ros_depth_segmentation.git
cd ${ISAAC_ROS_WS}/src/isaac_ros_depth_segmentation &&
git lfs pull -X "" -I "resources/rosbags/bi3dnode_rosbag"

step 8:

cd /workspaces/isaac_ros-dev

and after:

ros2 launch isaac_ros_bi3d_freespace isaac_ros_bi3d_freespace.launch.py featnet_engine_file_path:=/tmp/models/bi3d/bi3dnet_featnet.plan \
segnet_engine_file_path:=/tmp/models/bi3d/bi3dnet_segnet.plan \

let me know if works.

Best,
Raffaello

First, I want to express my gratitude for your assistance. Following your guidance, I ran the code, and it appears that the previously encountered error has been resolved. Everything seemed to be functioning smoothly up until step 9. During this phase, there were no error occurrences, and all appeared well. However, upon proceeding to steps 9 and 10,
9.Open a second terminal inside the Docker container
10.Visualize the occupancy grid in RViz
Start RViz:
In the left pane, change Fixed Frame to base_link.
In the left pane, click the Add button, then select By topic followed by Map to add the occupancy grid.
I encountered an issue. While there were no error messages, but nothing appeared on the screen. Please refer to the image below for reference.

First terminal:
[ros2-1] [INFO] [1704781524.868400231] [rosbag2_storage]: Opened database ‘src/>isaac_ros_depth_segmentation/resources/rosbags/bi3dnode_rosbag/bi3dnode_rosbag_0.db3’ for >READ_ONLY.
Second terminal:
rviz2
[INFO] [1704781568.314441806] [rviz2]: Stereo is NOT SUPPORTED
[INFO] [1704781568.314500982] [rviz2]: OpenGl version: 4.6 (GLSL 4.6)
[INFO] [1704781568.329620495] [rviz2]: Stereo is NOT SUPPORTED

Hi @sweetyleah0

I apologize. My workspace was already set up with the isaac_ros-dev, and I didn’t write these steps.
I rewrite all the steps below.

1. Pull down a rosbag of sample data:
git clone https://github.com/NVIDIA-ISAAC-ROS/isaac_ros_depth_segmentation.git
cd ${ISAAC_ROS_WS}/src/isaac_ros_depth_segmentation &&
git lfs pull -X "" -I "resources/rosbags/bi3dnode_rosbag"
  1. Build and run the demo package

a. install image pipeline

sudo apt-get install -y ros-humble-isaac-ros-image-pipeline

b. Build packages

cd /workspaces/isaac_ros-dev
colcon build --merge-install --symlink-install
source install/setup.bash

b. Run the demo

ros2 launch isaac_ros_bi3d_freespace isaac_ros_bi3d_freespace.launch.py featnet_engine_file_path:=/tmp/models/bi3d/bi3dnet_featnet.plan \
segnet_engine_file_path:=/tmp/models/bi3d/bi3dnet_segnet.plan \
  1. Open a second terminal inside the Docker container:
cd ${ISAAC_ROS_WS}/src/isaac_ros_common && \
  ./scripts/run_dev.sh
  1. Visualize the occupancy grid in RViz.Start RViz:
rviz2 

In the left pane, change Fixed Frame to base_link.

In the left pane, click the Add button, then select By topic followed by Map to add the occupancy grid.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.